7. You Missed A Button

"Not everyone you love 
will stay.
Not everyone you trust
will be loyal.
Some people only exist as examples of
what to avoid."

"Get

"Get. Here. Now."

Scarlett flinched as Ace sharply hung up his phone. Staring around her apartment, she wasn't even properly dressed, but she had to leave. Stuffing his precious notebook into her bag, she threw on the first button down dress that she put her hands on and hurried out the door, not even stopping to look in the mirror.

It was twenty whole minutes before the driver pulled up outside Woods Towers and Scarlett hurried up to the fortieth floor.

Ace stood outside his office, tapping his foot impatiently, checking his branded watch. When his eyes fixed on Scarlett, he gave her a savage glare. "You live so far away. I need that notebook," he said, snatching the notebook she held in her outstretched hand.

"I told you to take it yesterday, but what did you tell me?" Scarlett prompted, "That's right. That you don't need it."

Ace glared at her. He leafed through the book, running his index finger down each page. He tapped a spot on one page and slammed it shut. "This," he waved the book at Scarlett, "Always comes home with me. Got it?"

Scarlett sighed. "Got it."

"You need to move closer to the office," Ace said.

"I like where I live, thank you."

He shook his head. "Go get some breakfast, protein bar."

Ace turned and took the two steps to his office door. He turned the knob, but then angled his head and looked at Scarlett with the signature smirk of his crossing his face.

"Oh, and Ambrose? You missed a button."

Scarlett glanced down as Ace's door closed before him to see that she had indeed missed a button, halfway down her chest. Growling internally, she set her bag on the floor. Without even thinking of moving, she faced the closed door and undid all the buttons from the one she missed, all the way to the top and began to button it again.

Ace's door opened again and he stepped out. Raising an eyebrow, he looked at Scarlett's fingers on her buttons. "I don't think this is the most appropriate place for a show," he said, with a crooked smile, clearly amused.

Scarlett left the two top buttons undone and picked up her bag. She took two steps towards him, wearing a smirk of her own. "Anywhere is appropriate for a show." Her blue eyes trailed up from Ace's torso, to his lips and finally to his eyes.

He gazed at Scarlett, his smirk morphing into the slightest frown. "You're a real paradox, Ambrose. Have some breakfast and get to work." He locked his office door, slipped the key into his pocket and walked away.

Scarlett pursed her lips in annoyance, looking at the locked door. Looking around and seeing no one, she walked over to Gretchen's unoccupied desk and opened some drawers and looked under files to see if there was a spare key to Ace's office, but she found nothing. She looked around, trying to find another way into his office, but the arrival of more employees meant that she couldn't go undetected, so she trudged, dejectedly back to her office.