6. A Protein Bar Isn't Breakfast

"She may be small, 
but so are the stars 
from a distance."

"Hold the elevator!"

Scarlett wrestled into her coat as she slid haphazardly into the elevator that morning. She puffed out a breath.

"Sky? Are you in a rush?"

Scarlett turned her head to the girl in the elevator. "Elle!" she cried, throwing her arms around the her neighbour, Danielle, "How I've missed your head of pretty, curly hair and your constant smell of vanilla shea butter."

Danielle laughed and hugged Scarlett back. The girls stepped back and took each other in. "Are you late or something? It's not like you."

Scarlett shook her head. "Not late, but I just want to be there a little early."

"You changed jobs?"

Scarlett nodded. No one knew of her real occupation, other than Grace Vanderpool, not even the most exciting neighbour she had. "Yeah, I work for Ace Hardwood."

Danielle gripped Scarlett's arm. "Ace Hardwood? Wow. He's hot, but from everything I've heard, he's ruthless and scary and overall, everyone just cowers when he walks past their workstations."

Scarlett bumped her shoulder against Danielle's. "Well, if he walked past you, he wouldn't be able to help himself. He'd be all over you."

Danielle threw her head back and laughed, making her curls bounce. "I've missed the boosts of confidence you give me. We should hang out some time. Seriously, just walk across the hall into my house at three in the morning and let's just hang out."

Scarlett chuckled, inspecting her reflection in the mirror as the elevator stopped at the ground level. "For sure. I'll see you later, Elle."

"Have a good day, Sky."

Scarlett slid into the town car that was waiting for her and was standing outside Ace's door, ringing his bell before she even knew it.

When Ace opened the door, he was already dressed and looked ready to start the day. "Ambrose, come on in. You're early."

"Well, not too early, you're fully dressed."

Ace's smirk returned. "Were you hoping for something less formal?"

Scarlett rolled her eyes, following him into his penthouse, while marveling at its beauty. "If I wanted to see you less than fully dressed, I already would have," she said, as he led her over to the breakfast counter, where he had been having a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper, as he did every morning.

"You're quite confident in your abilities," he commented, sitting down.

"That makes the two of us."

Footsteps on the tile made Scarlett turn her head as a girl with her short bob held off of her face with a red bandana walked in. The young woman looked from Ace to Scarlett and then leaned against the wall, a mischievous smile crossing her face.