43. Free

"We all want that person
who makes us

calm

in the soul
and

crazy

in the flesh

~ JMStorm

Scarlett tapped her laptop erratically with her index fingers, her eyes trained on the time in the corner of the screen

It was past six-thirty.

Ace still hadn't left his office.

As her mind wandered, her thoughts drifted to the meeting that she had had with Terrence Burke the previous week and how Brad Windom had barged in there and made himself a part of the team.

She thought of how much it hurt her to think of telling Ace the truth and him making her leave.

She shook her head and closed the open document on her laptop.

Outside her office, she realized that most people had left.

As far as her eye could see, desks were empty and lights had been turned off.

Gretchen's desk was empty and her lamp was off.

She tiptoed over to Ace's office door and cracked it open.

He was pouring over various open files on his desk and looked deep in thought.

Scarlett closed the door before he could see her and thought. It seemed that she would be there longer.

Generally, Scarlett never stayed in the office when her work was over. She always left and Ace came home when he was done, but she almost didn't want to leave him. Ever since the previous week, she hadn't wanted to leave his side at all. She wanted to stay with him; be with him.

She walked back into her office and ordered some food for their dinner.

By the time the clock struck seven, she wandered out of her office again and pushed open Ace's door, leaning against the door frame.

She watched him.

It didn't seem as if he had moved since the time she had seen him last. In fact, he almost looked like a marble statue that had been carved to depict a determined businessman in the midst of his work. The night sky was dark and lights in the buildings outside twinkled as Ace's background.

He barely seemed aware of the world around him.

Scarlett looked around his office, her eyes fixing on the shelf filled with the various awards he had won, gleaming atop it.

When she turned her gaze back to Ace, she smiled seeing that he was looking at her.

She pushed herself off the doorjamb and began to walk in. "I'll tell you now, I don't want an oil painting as a birthday gift."