9. I Do It Cause It's Fun

"Walk towards the good in life
and one day you will arrive."

~ Atticus

The lines on the schedule that Scarlett was editing for what seemed like the umpteenth time were beginning to blur

The lines on the schedule that Scarlett was editing for what seemed like the umpteenth time were beginning to blur. She shook her head to try and focus, when the phone on her table began to ring.

Ace's phone flashed with the name "Emerson Home".

Ace's sister.

Scarlett picked up the phone, wondering why his sister was calling this number when she was pretty sure Ace was in his office, available to answer any and all calls.

"Hello, how may I help you?"

Scarlett heard nothing for a moment.

"Uh, hi," said the voice of a little girl.

Scarlett frowned, because she had always assumed that Ace's sister would be a fully grown woman and not a toddler.

"Who is this?" the girl asked.

"I'm Scarlett, I'm Ace Hardwood's PA. Can I help you?" she asked.

"Oh, may I speak to him, please?" The girl had very clearly been taught telephone etiquette.

Not wanting to disappoint the child, Scarlett got up. "Could you just give me one moment to check if he's free?" she asked, stepping out of her office.

"Sure!" the little girl said, hope riddled into her words. Her excitement was contagious and made Scarlett smile.

She nodded to Gretchen and gestured to the closed door of Ace's office. Gretchen nodded back to her, letting her know it was alright to go in.

Scarlett knocked on the door.

"Come in," Ace's voice came from the other side.

Slowly, she opened the door and stepped in.

Ace sat at his desk, pouring over a file. The large glass paned windows let in so much light and Ace sat, looking almost small in that large office, against the vast backdrop that was rendered by the sky. He raised his head from the file and focused on Scarlett.

"What is it, Ambrose?" he asked as Scarlett walked forward.

She held out the phone to him. "Your sister," she said.

Ace took the phone from her hand. "Sit," he gestured to the chair in front of his desk and pushed his own chair back, away from his desk and pressed the phone to his ear.

"Hello?"

Scarlett watched as Ace's expression lightened from a slight frown into an easy smile, as he listened to what the girl at the other end of the line said. "I do want to hear what happened today." He turned his chair away from Scarlett.