58. Home

"When they ask you
why you love the rain,
 the ocean,
 the river,
tell them it is because
unlike the people
who should have loved you better,
the water was never afraid to touch you;
even when you were
 at your most damaged
and broken."

~ Nikita Gill

When the chaos in the world is so much, it's almost as if there's just one high-pitched noise that pierces your eardrums

It tunes you out for your protection.

When things finally begin to mellow, that is when your ears may adjust to pick up the individual sounds that go on.

As the dust settled around them, and the businessmen, goons and Oliver were being wrestled into handcuffs, Scarlett and Ace stared at each other from across the room.

Despite the chaos mellowing, neither of them heard anything that went on around them.

It was as if the world had crumbled away and it was just the two of them in the whole world.

There was no one else.

Even as FBI agents pushed past them, talked over them and walked between them, nothing shook the trance that they were in.

Scarlett's heart raced.

So did Ace's.

Ace took a step forward.

So did Scarlett.

Suddenly, Ace seemed to realize what she was wearing.

He unbuttoned his jacket and slipped it off, crossing the room, closing the space between them. Focused on her, he put the jacket around her shoulders and pulled it close around her.

Scarlett bit down on her bottom lip and looked up at him.

"Ace," she breathed, scarcely able to believe that he was actually there.

Ace gazed at her with his intense, bright green gaze.

"You came for me," she whispered.

Ace took another step closer to her.

Tears were shining in her eyes.

Reaching up, Ace gently tucked her hair behind her ear. He softly, slowly cupped her face with both of his hands, warming her in a way that she hadn't been in almost a month.

"I'll always come for you, Sky."

Choking out a deep exhale, Scarlett began to cry.

Her head fell as her tears did and Ace wrapped his arms around her and breathed her in.

She smelled like her; she smelled like home. Nestled safely in his arms, it felt right to have her there.

Scarlett gripped whatever of his she could reach and held him close.