18. Why Not Whipped Cream?

"She has been through hell.
 So, believe me when I say,
fear her
when she looks into a fire
and smiles."

~ Darynda Jones

"He's a real closed book, Gracie," Scarlett said into her phone, as she flicked through Ace's schedule, trying to place it out properly, "I think he just feels like he's in this trap of different people – I don't know

"He's a real closed book, Gracie," Scarlett said into her phone, as she flicked through Ace's schedule, trying to place it out properly, "I think he just feels like he's in this trap of different people – I don't know."

"Even a caged bird sings, my darling," Grace told her, airily.

"I don't think he sings in front of other people," she told Grace, picking at the sandwich on her desk.

Grace chuckled softly. "Then make him feel like you are a part of him, lieve. Make him feel like singing to you is as easy as singing to himself."

Scarlett sighed. "How've you been, Gracie? Miserable without me?"

"You know I'm not miserable without anyone, darling. As I know you are not, either."

Scarlett smiled.

A knock came at Scarlett's open door. "Ambrose, are you.... on a personal call?"

"I'll call you later, Gracie," Scarlett said, eyeing Ace and hung up, "I'm having taking my lunch break here because you want this done, but I also have to pick your tux for this evening's gala."

Ace held up his hands in defense as he entered her office.

"So, you're having lunch at your desk?"

Scarlett blinked at him repeatedly as she took a bite of her sandwich. "No, I'm ice fishing."

"The tux will be ready for the gala, right?" Ace asked, completely used to Scarlett's sarcasm by now.

She nodded, getting up and stretching. "My good friend, Giuseppe assures me that I can pick it up by four."

"Good," Ace approved and watched as Scarlett took another bite. "Answer me this: how does your lipstick last so long? I mean there's none on your sandwich and none of it has rubbed off from you eating."

Scarlett smirked and leaned over the table to whisper to Ace. "Magic."

"Yes, I had figured that it's some sort of sorcery."

"I could show you that it doesn't last through everything," Scarlett volunteered in a sultry voice, batting her eyelashes at Ace. She watched his lips part and press together again.

Ace's eyebrows raised.

"Would you like to be my date to the gala?" he asked.

Scarlett scoffed. "I'd rather get steamrolled. I'm coming because you need me; not to be your date."

Ace sat in front of Scarlett's desk.

"Tell me something, Ambrose," he said, clasping his hands together.