55. A Mutual Friend

"Defined by no man,
 you are your own story.
 Moving through the world,
 turning history into her story.
 And when they dare to tell you
 about all the things you cannot be,
you smile and tell them,
"I am both war and woman,
and you cannot stop me."

~ Nikita Gill

Just when Scarlett thought that her life couldn't get any worse, that fateful day dawned

She was getting so tired of not smiling, so tired of forcing herself to get through the day.

Once her tears had dried, she had just become angry. She was angry at all the businessmen who made her suffer. She was angry at all the businessmen who were trying to make Ace suffer.

As she dressed, she was careful not to put tight straps over the shoulder that Kai had bitten down on. Ever since that day, the mark had looked angrier and angrier, festering and fueling Scarlett's rage. The scar had only darkened and gotten more painful.

Scarlett heard the lock on her door turn, signaling that she could go outside.

At night, someone came and locked the door and, in the morning, it was opened.

She stared at the door, wondering if it would open, wondering if Brad or Kai would come, grin fiendishly at her and make some crude comment about wanting to see her.

She narrowed her eyes at the door, almost daring it to open.

As much as Scarlett loved to snack, she found that she barely had any appetite, especially when she was surrounded by the worst people she had ever met.

Scarlett waited in her room, knowing that it was better to be alone than to be in the company of people she hated. Two hours passed where the men downstairs didn't care for her and didn't try to convince her to come down for breakfast.

It was half past ten when her door burst open.

Kai walked in, like he owned the place, looking more pleased with himself that he usually did. He strode in like a peacock and came up to Scarlett, whose eyes followed him.

He came up to the sofa on which she was seated and bent down, leaning into her as he put his hands on the backrest on either side of her.

"There's someone downstairs that I'm just so eager for you to meet," he told her, almost giddily, "An old friend. A mutual friend."

"I don't want anything to do with your friends," she told him, defiantly.

"Oh," Kai said, with mock sympathy, running a finger down her cheek, "Sweetheart. What makes you think you have a choice?"

Scarlett raised her eyes to glare at him.

Kai's smile molded into a sinister smirk and his hand trailed down her face, down her neck and to her shoulder, where he dug his fingers into her flesh, making her groan in pain as he hurt the scar that he had made.