24. Gate Six and Two Thirds

"Paths
 cross
 in
 perfect
 time."

Great info, Scarlett

Great info, Scarlett. I'll definitely be able to show Ace up at the launch meetings next week.

Scarlett made a face and deleted the text from Terrence.

She had given him the information she had memorized from the file on his desk when she was in Ace's office with Cassie.

Dan never did say much when she gave them information, so there was nothing she had gotten from him.

Something deep inside her heart twisted, but she pushed it down.

She tossed her phone on to the cabinet and looked down at her laptop screen when the door opened.

Ace's eyes searched the room and found her standing at her usual spot at the cabinet. He frowned. "How often do you go and stand there?" he asked.

Scarlett shrugged, "At least once every hour."

Ace gave a murmur of assent. "Come into my office. I have something to discuss with you."

Scarlett followed him out of her office and into his own. She smiled at Gretchen as they went in.

"Have a seat, Ambrose," Ace gestured to the chairs as he took a seat in his own, tall leather chair.

She sat at the edge of his desk and gazed at him.

Ace flicked his eyes on to her and sighed. "So, you're just going to continue to defy me?"

Scarlett gave him her smirk. "Just tell me what you want and don't question my seating choices."

Ace shook his head as the door opened and Gretchen walked in. "Mr. Hardwood, I brought you that file," she said, walking up to them.

She eyed Scarlett sitting on Ace's desk over her glasses as she handed him the file.

"Thank you, Gretchen."

"Mmm-hmmm," she hummed as she walked out.

"Ambrose," Ace said, making Scarlett turn to face him, "I think you're smarter than you give yourself credit for."

She raised her eyebrows. "Are you giving me a compliment?"

"Don't let it get to you," Ace flicked his hand, with a smirk, "But I think you can prove yourself to be more useful than someone who runs errands and makes schedules, don't you?"

His striking green eyes implored her.

Scarlett gulped and nodded. "I love a challenge."

Ace knocked his fist against the desk. "Great. I want you to come with me to the launch conference next week. It'll be your first work trip."

Scarlett cocked her head at him, with a hint of a smile. "Really?" she asked, genuinely surprised. She had worked for various people before, but none of them ever seemed to want her to do anything other make copies, get coffee and look pretty. "You want me to come?"