52. It's Real

"She looked up at the sky
and whispered,
'Take anything away from me,
take it all if you must,
but please –
please,
let me keep this
one thing."

~ Lang Leav

Scarlett recoiled

Scarlett recoiled.

She physically withdrew herself as she glared at him under hooded eyebrows. Kai continued to smile at her like she indeed was a long-lost friend of his. He looked elated to finally rekindle their relationship.

He leaned in. "You left without a goodbye, Scarlett. That wasn't very nice, was it?" he asked, in that voice that he had always used on her, trying to instill fear in her.

It didn't work anymore.

Scarlett leaned back in her chair. "I didn't know the Three Stooges were making a comeback," she commented, looking between the three of them, sounding braver than she felt.

She wasn't really afraid of Kai anymore, but he made her uncomfortable. She wanted to peel her skin off because of how close he was sitting.

He moved forward as he sat on the ottoman, closer to Scarlett. "We have a proposition."

"No," Scarlett scowled.

"Hear us out," Kai went on, "We want to know what Ace Hardwood is doing for the semi-annual launch. Either you can tell us what you know, or you can just work for us."

"Are the three of you that thick? I'm not doing either of those things," Scarlett said, firmly.

Kai leaned in even more, making Scarlett sit straight and hold her breath. His hand touched her knee and the other rested on the couch beside her. "Now, I'm sure you don't want something bad happening to Ace, do you, Scarlett?"

Scarlett looked at the evil glint in his eyes. She wondered what he meant by that; whether they meant to cause him physical harm. She looked at all three of them in turn, with a disgusted look on her face.

"What do you have against Ace?" she asked, pointing her gaze in Terrence's direction. She knew that he was the mastermind behind the whole coup. "Why are you so hell bent on burying him?"

Terrence stared back at her.

"If you want my help, the least you could do is tell me why," she argued. She had to know why.

What was the reason behind Terrence wanting to outdo Ace; to break him?

Scarlett had been around men like him long enough to know that there was a deeper reason than money; usually, it was revenge.

"Why?" she persisted, her gaze focused on Terrence.

The man still leaned against the edge of the desk, watching her, his hands planted on either side of himself, gripping the table. He shifted his weight about and crossed his arms over his chest. It looked as if he was thinking. He opened his mouth to say one word: "Love."