32. Fine. Great.

"The blight slipped over her
 like a silk sheet,
 soft at first

 and then gently,
 suffocating.

 She wanted
 to sleep.
 She chose
 to fight."

Cassie's laughter, as she sat with Ace in his office, echoed throughout the house, through the open door

Cassie's laughter, as she sat with Ace in his office, echoed throughout the house, through the open door. She was having the time of her life with her favourite – albeit, only – uncle.

Scarlett listened to her giggles and smiled. Cassie was a life-affirming force so vibrant that she managed to give light to Ace Hardwood. He could be heard murmuring things to his niece that made her burst into laughter. It was one of the best things he had experienced in his life: being an uncle to his first and only niece.

Emerson watched the smiling Scarlett, who was sitting across from her as she ran her fingers up and down her glass of lemonade, spreading the condensation.

He brother's assistant seemed happy.

What's more, even her cold, unsmiling, scary brother seemed happy.

He had even had on a smile before he opened the door to let his niece in.

Sure, he had never been cold towards her or his niece, but his employees, with the exception of Gretchen, seemed to cower before the impenetrable gaze of the great Ace Hardwood.

He didn't seem to have that effect on the latest addition to his employee base, however.

She seemed to be completely content in defying her boss.

She was totally at ease in his house, happy to play hostess to Emerson and let uncle and niece bond.

Thoughts swirled in Emerson's mind as to how best to approach the situation. She cleared her throat.

"I'm sorry about interrupting your evening, Scarlett," she said, "We were close by and Cassie refused to go home without seeing her beloved uncle."

Scarlett turned to her and smiled, sweetly. "Don't worry about it. I'm glad I could see Cassie. I was just in my room doing some work; nothing too fancy."

Emerson cocked her head. "Don't you go out, Scarlett?"

The PA hesitated. Sometimes, it didn't occur to her that she could just leave. Sometimes, it felt like she needed to be told that she had her own free will and she could come and go as she pleased. The last time she had been in the house of a man she worked for, she didn't really have much freedom to do anything, let alone leave. It never crossed her mind that Ace wouldn't deny her the ability to go out on any day she wanted. In fact, she was almost sure that if she asked him to move back into her apartment, he might even let her do that.

Something kept her here, however.

With him.

"I'm not much of a going-out kind of person," she told Emerson, finally.