12. An Oil Painting

"Women like you,
drown oceans."

Ace's glare had the force to knock the air right out of Scarlett

The generally confident, powerful girl stood in his study, backed up against a bookshelf, glancing back at him with worried eyes.

Brad was smirking with delight like Christmas had come early.

Scarlett swallowed. When the words left her mouth, they were barely audible. "I just wanted a book...."

"Ms. Ambrose," Ace's voice was deadly, "Please leave my study."

Scarlett hastened out of there and Ace shut the door to the study, leaving Brad inside. He advanced on Scarlett, making her back down. "What part of 'stay in your room' do you not understand? Why can't you just do what you're told?"

"I just wanted a book," Scarlett's voice was shaky as she took a few steps back in the direction of the staircase, "I swear, I just wanted something to read and I thought you'd be in –"

Ace held up a hand. "Go to your room and don't come out until I come get you. Do you think you can manage to do that?"

Scarlett nodded.

Ace flicked his hand to dismiss her and watched as she rushed upstairs before going back into the study. When he closed the door behind him, Brad was smirking at him, conspiratorially.

"Keep your friends close, keep your gorgeous PA closer, huh?"

Ace stared down Brad, making his countenance falter.

"You're here to speak to me about business, which is the only reason I let you in my house. If you want to deviate from the topic, you can get the hell out," Ace pushed open the door and stood aside.

Brad raised his arms in surrender. "Just give me draft of the terms of agreement and I'll be on my way."

Ace walked over to his desk. "And you'll make no more impromptu house calls. I've a good mind to move."

Brad, completely unfazed by the disdain with which many people treated him, just smiled.

Upstairs, Scarlett had stumbled into her new room and shut the door. She slid to the ground against the door and pulled her legs into herself, cradling them, feeling like a small child. She tried to shake the feeling of dread that had overcome her in the last few minutes.

When her heartbeat had finally slowed, she got up and paced across the room, wondering what would happen to her. She paced, biting the insides of her cheeks for almost a half hour when she heard a knock on her door.

Her breath caught in her throat.

She watched and waited as the knob turned and the door opened.

Ace stood there, one hand behind his back, gazing at her. The death in his eyes was gone, but they weren't light, like they usually were. The bright green colour was clouded over.