4. Mr. Hardwood Will See You Now

"She was powerful, 
not because she was scared,
but because she went on so strongly,
despite the fear."

~ Atticus

Scarlett stopped, but soon realized her mistake in doing so

"I don't know what you're talking about," she said, curtly and began to edge towards the entrance to her building.

The blond man stepped in front of her.

"Ms. Ambrose," he smiled, politely, undeterred by her denial, "I work for Ace Hardwood. I would like you to come with me."

"I don't care about what you would like. I don't know who you are," Scarlett said, flatly.

The man chuckled. "My name is Michael Adams. I have been sent to personally escort you to Woods Towers. Mr. Hardwood is very keen to meet you."

"I have never spoken to Ace Hardwood in my life," Scarlett said.

It wouldn't be advisable to give in. Men like Ace Hardwood enjoyed the chase, which meant that she must refuse.

"Hence, why he would like to meet you," Michael said.

"I'm not going anywhere with a strange man in a tinted car," Scarlett said, pointing to the town car.

Michael stepped towards the car and opened the door. "You'll be perfectly safe; I can assure you."

Scarlett gave him a sarcastic smile. "Forgive me if I don't believe you. How the hell do you even know my name?"

"Mr. Hardwood has a way of knowing things," replied Michael.

"Well, he should have known that I wouldn't go anywhere with you," Scarlett crossed her arms over her chest.

"I'm sure he can explain to you," he said to her.

"Why does he want to meet me?" she asked.

"I'm not the person to tell you that. When you meet him, Mr. Hardwood will tell you himself."

"Mr. Hardwood isn't here, is he?" Scarlett asked, "If he wants to meet me, you can tell him that since he knows where I am, he could just come to me."

"Ms. Ambrose, do you really want a strange man in your house?"

Scarlett shot him a look. "Well, then I am perfectly capable of getting myself places."

"Well, Ms. Ambrose I am going to Woods Towers, so might I suggest we carpool?" Michael quipped.

"Might I suggest that you get back in your car and go tell your boss that he doesn't get everything he wants?" Scarlett countered.

Michael smirked and raised an eyebrow. "Au contraire, he does get what he wants very often."

"You can go tell your boss that if he wants to meet me, I'll come by myself or he can wait to get served with a fat lawsuit for kidnapping," Scarlett said, firmly.