Now and Always

E P I L O G U E

"I spent my days
 waiting for you,
 searching the crowds
 for your face.
 I stopped breathing
 the moment you recognised me,
 as you captured my soul
with your gaze."

~ Christy Anne Martine

"Hey, Sky? What's this on your neck?"

Cassie ran her fingers over the hickey on the bottom of Scarlett's neck that she had missed when she applied concealer. She felt herself blushing into a deep red colour, almost the same colour as the bright red lipstick that she was wearing.

Ace looked at her with hooded eyes, his small smile on his face. He didn't make any attempt to help Scarlett out of the situation that he had put her into. He enjoyed giving her those love marks, almost as much as Scarlett enjoyed receiving them, if the way she moaned his name was any indication. He stayed quiet, leaving her to fend for herself.

Emerson pursed her lips trying to hide her smile and Cal side-eyed his brother-in-law, trying not to laugh.

Scarlett looked at the faces of all of three adults in the room with her as she carried Cassie in her arms. They made no attempt to help her in any way.

"Did something bite you?" Cassie asked, inspecting it.

Scarlett stared daggers at Ace, who tried very hard to control his smile. "Yes," she replied.

Emerson choked down a laugh.

"Was it a bug?" Cassie questioned.

Scarlett shook her head at Ace, whose shoulders were shaking as he laughed silently. "A very big bug," she replied.

Emerson snorted and clamped her hand over her mouth.

"You might need an exterminator," Cassie told her.

Scarlett looked at the little girl she carried. "Oh, definitely. I'm going to get rid of that bug."

That comment made Cal laugh as well.

"I think I'll do that right away, Cass," Scarlett nodded, "In fact, I think we need to get rid of the biggest bug once and for all. It's really getting on my nerves."

"How long has it been there, Sky?" Cassie asked, wondering why there was a big bug, but no one was doing anything about it.

Scarlett deadpanned. "About a year and a half, Cassie."

Ace raised just one eyebrow at her. "This big bug hasn't bothered you for the last one year, five months and thirty days?"

Scarlett smirked. "Oh, the only thing the bug has done is bother me."

They stared at each other, their eyes doing the talking.

Emerson looked between her brother and the woman that she was almost sure would one day be her sister-in-law and cleared her throat. "I think it's time I put Cassie to bed," she said, reaching for her daughter.