Chapter Sixteen

Awareness came slowly, Sebby's head felt heavy and all fuzzy inside. He honestly didn't feel like getting out of bed, but he should be somewhere doing something besides sleeping, something productive. He was supposed to have a sleepover with Ayanna but they had a fight and he came home, and has been in bed ever since. Quincy didn't come home last night but that wasn't unusual for a Friday night, especially when he didn't have Sebby to come home to.

Gradually his lids drifted open and he blinked rapidly against the brightness of the room, fuck! He'd neglected to shut the blinds before turning in. Focus came in unsteady stages until he could fully absorb his surroundings.
What time was it? He wondered vaguely.

With leaden body fighting him every inch of the way, he stood up, cleared his throat and pushed the hair from his eyes. He licked his lips and grimaced, he needed a drink of water desperately. So he started the slow walk downstairs.

Halfway down the stairs he heard shuffling and paused, he didn't think it was Quincy because his boyfriend always made his presence known to keep from startling Sebby, but then again for all he knew Sebby wasn't home. He thought about going back up to get his phone and call Quincy but he was too tired for that. Plus it might just be nothing and he would've bothered him for no reason. So instead he continued till he got to the bottom of the stairs and froze.

Quincy stood there covered in blood from head to toe, he was on the phone facing away from where Sebby stood. Fear gripped his heart, fear that someone had hurt his man. His stomach churned and his heart sped up a bit.

He snapped out of the brief trance he was in and started to run towards his boyfriend to make sure he was okay, but Quincy's next words stopped him in his tracks.

"Fuck that! What type of message is that sending to these mutherfuckers huh? That it ain't nothing to fuck with me and mines? Nah nígga, it ain't over till they all drop." Sebby watched as Quincy's fist clenched and unclenched. "Send a message to that nigga that I'mma work my way through his peoples till his bitchass come out and play."

Sebby cleared his throat then.
Quincy flinched and turned around with his gun pointing at Sebby's direction. "You scared the shit outta me. Thought you were at Yaya's." He said as he put the gun away. "Gotta go Ric, text me that info later." He said into the phone and hung up.

"Who's blood is that? You don't seem hurt so I'm guessing it's not yours." Sebby asked instead.

Quincy shuffled uncomfortably, scratching his head. But said nothing.

"I thought we were passed this? I thought your dad said he'd handle it. Why do you keep doing this Quincy?"

"I ain't gon let my pops fight my battle, what you mean? That man kidnapped you for fucks sakes!" He snapped. "He crossed a line and broke the code just to send a message to me and pops, over some bullshit that happened years ago that didn't have shit to do with you. You want me to let that slide? And look like a bitch in these streets? Fuck that!"

"So this is about your ego. Is that it? Is that what this is really about? You've been sneaking out at odd hours of the night when you think I'm sleeping just to go stroke your ego?" Sebby took a few steps backwards and sat on the staircase. "You don't even have proof that it was him."

"Only because you refused to describe him!" Quincy exclaimed.

"Because I don't see what the point of all this is Q! I'm fine, the baby is fine and your dad and mine are handling it. Am i wrong for wanting you out of harms way?"

Silence fell between them for a while till Sebby broke it. "Promise me you'll let this go."
Quincy remained silent, and Sebby's stomach twisted into nuts of anger. He forgot about the water and walked back upstairs.

About ten to fifteen minutes later he made his way back downstairs with a duffle bag. Quincy was busy taking his bloody clothes off, he paused and turned around when he heard Sebby come down.

"What you doing?" Quincy asked.

"I think I'll stay at my parents house for a while." The freckled boy responded. His voice cracked a bit, and he cleared his throat. "I need to clear my head."

"You can't keep doing this." Quincy said in a throaty voice. "You can't keep running away every time shit get serious."

"I'm not running away, I just need to clear my head for a bit."

"What is there to clear?!" Quincy stopped and took a deep breath. "Your dad hates me shawty, and if you keep running back home every damn day that ain't gon change."

Sebby walked past him into the kitchen to grab a bottle of water, Quincy followed behind him trailing blood all over the floor. Thank God I don't have to clean that. He thought to himself as he opened the fridge to get cold water.

"He doesn't hate you, not anymore at least. He's been better right?" Sebby finally responded after taking a big gulp of water.

"Better where? That nigga won't even shake my hand. He mean mugs me every chance he gets and he still thinks you're better off with that empty vessel. Not to mention the other day I got pulled over by one of his boys and they was doing the most with it. I knew he was behind them shits."

Sebby rolled his eyes and leaned on the counter for balance. "You think he's behind everything Quincy, is he responsible for world hunger too?"

"You think this is funny?"

"I didn't say it was, you need to take a bath and calm down. I gotta go." Sebby took the few steps that was needed to get to his boyfriend, kissed him on the cheek and walked out of the kitchen. He stopped for a second when he heard Quincy's next words...

"I ain't coming after you if you go. If you leave this house right now I'mma do me."

Sebby narrowed his gaze at his boyfriend for a second. Then he shook his head and kept walking, he didn't stop until he was outside and in his car.