Chapter Twenty-Two

Sebby disliked hospitals.
He couldn't say why, he just did.
He hated the food, the atmosphere, and the awful stale smell it seemed to always have. After managing to go through most of his life without needing to go to the hospital, now it suddenly felt like he was there every damn day.
Take now for instance, he's lying here waiting for Dr Orlando to come in and run his monthly check up to make sure everything was okay, normally that would be a good thing, but this was the second one he'd had to come to by himself. Which somehow adds to his blatant dislike for hospitals.

He'd slept through the night for the first time in a minute two nights ago, and that was no doubt due to Quincy's presence. How pathetic am i? Sebby thought in a self deprecating manner. He'd hoped to wake up where he fell asleep, but he wasn't the least bit surprised when he hadn't. One of these days I'm going to find the courage to stop loving you Quincy James. The fact that he still wanted and loved the boy despite his recent misbehavior made Sebby feel weak. Maybe i am.

After waiting close to half an hour Dr Orlando finally came. He said hello and started with the routine question, the usual 'have you been getting enough rest? Are you eating right? Taking walks?' Blah blah blah. All of which he answered with no problem, then came that irritating question. "So, would anyone else be joining us today?" They both knew what he was really asking. A sudden wave of sadness crept into Sebby's system like a head on collision with a freight train.

Sebby looked down to his fingers sadly. "Uh, no Doctor i..."

"Yes just me." Quincy said from the doorway. "Sorry I'm late."

Sebby's jaw dropped dramatically, different levels of emotions scattered around inside him, and all he could do was smile.

"Hello Mr James, no worries you're right on time." Dr Orlando extended his hand to Quincy for a handshake.

Quincy stepped to Sebby's side and held his hand, before placing a gentle kiss on his forehead. "Hey." He greeted.

"Hey. Thought you skipped town."

"Guess not."

"I'm glad you're here."

"Yeah." The taller boy responded flatly, before turning to face the doctor.

The check up goes smoothly, both papa and baby are in perfect condition health wise, and Quincy might've teared up a little when he heard the heartbeat... of course he blamed it on allergies.

"Would you like to know the sex of your baby?"
Sebby and Quincy exchange looks that made it obvious that they hadn't expected that question, nor had they even talked about it.

"You decide, I'm good either way." Sebby told Quincy.

"Sure?"

"Yeah I want you to."

Quincy nodded and scratched the back of his heard. "Yeah sure. I mean nah we good, thanks doc." Two seconds later. "Actually maybe we... nah we'll wait, sorry."

Sebby shook his head and smiled to himself. A flustered Quincy wasn't a sight he'd ever thought he'd see. "Thanks Dr O." Sebby said.

"Alright that'll be all for now. You know the drill, get a lot of rest, eat healthy etc. See you next month." With that the doctor left the room, leaving them to themselves.
Quincy stood there awkwardly while Sebby fixed himself up. "Did you drive?" He asked.

"No my dad dropped me off."

"Want me to take you somewhere?"

Sebby stopped and stared at him, unsure of what to make of his countenance. It's true that Quincy wasn't the most talkative person on a normal day, but this right now? This was a whole other level of quiet, like Ringo level. And Sebby couldn't shake the feeling that something was eating away at him. I wish you'd just talk to me.