Chapter Nineteen

Five O'clock couldn't come quickly enough for me today. Being back to work was cool and all but the atmosphere at the shop has been uncharacteristically tense all day, and that's saying something considering the week I've had. It doesn't help that Rusty keeps throwing random shade my way either, I don't know what the fuck his problem is. I'm twenty three weeks gone now so I'm showing a little, which is why i stay wearing hoodies to hide my bump. I think Rusty knows somehow though, because he's been more insufferable than usual since I've been back, saying slick shit here and there.

Here he comes now. Just great. "Niko needs you to work on this before the close of work today." Rusty said, dumping a bunch of notepads on my lap. "And your boyfriend has been packed outside the shop like a creep for over an hour, if he's still there in ten minutes I'm calling the police."

"What! Quincy's here?" Without waiting for a reply I ran outside. Nothing, no Quincy in sight.

"I go back inside where Rusty was now in his chair chewing on a pencil and scrolling through his phone. He raised a brow when he heard me come in, the look on my face must've seemed like i was ready to snap his neck because he leaned back and rolled his eyes.

"Were you just fucking with me? There's nobody out there."

"Well he was out there so...I don't know what to tell ya" he responded nonchalantly, like he couldn't be bothered by my emotional turmoil.

"Are you sure it was him?"

"I'll recognize those awful face ink anywhere."

"Why the hell didn't you get me when you saw him?" I asked heatedly, and got another eye roll for my trouble.

"Uh, because you're not the boss of me, and I don't have to report anything to you." Rusty sassed, before putting the half eating pencil back in his mouth and humming quietly in delight.

As tempted as I am to read him to filth i didn't see the point, what difference was that going to make with his weird ass? So instead I walk back to my workspace, deciding to get as much work done as possible before my lunch break, which I plan on spending with Ayanna.

If I'm being completely honest to myself a part of me is very angry at Quincy, for not feeling the same way about me that I do him. I must've really imagined hearing those 8 letter words back in the hospital as my dad implied, his recent actions have made that clear. The other part of me is heartbroken at the realization that all the time we spent together meant nothing to him, that I mean nothing.
Seeing him go back to his old ways really fucking hurts, but still I was excited for a moment when I thought he was here to make amends, maybe I'm just a masochist. I'm not even sure I'm going to take him back, but some groveling would be nice. However unlikely that is knowing Quincy James.

————

"Oh my God, this is so cuteee! I can't believe a human feet could fit into this tiny little bootie." Ayanna coo'd. We're in Carter's shopping for baby stuff, Ayanna is so excited she's practically bouncing off the walls, but I can't help but wish I was doing this with... nevermind.

"You can't pick that, it's pink. We're buying neutral colors only."

She pouts. "Okay kill joy." She acted like she was putting it back then hid behind her back when she thought I wasn't looking. What can i do other than shake my head and let it go?

"So are you excited?" She asked after we've walked for a while.

"I guess."

"What do you mean you guess? This is hella exciting, I'm about to be an aunt and shit. Plus your daughter is going to be so beautiful."