Chapter Seventeen

Author's Note
The music attached has more to do with how I'm feeling about what's going on in the world right now than it has to do with the chapter. But listen anyway, if you wanna.
——————————————————————-

It's three days later and I haven't heard a word from Quincy. No call, no text, not even a smoke signal, and frankly I don't know how to feel about that.
I guess I could call him, but I really don't wanna do that, if he was going to be a dick and give me an ultimatum then he can call.

I miss him terribly though, I miss waking up next to him. Dad works all the time so he's never home, mom is still hospitalized- Sabrina and i just got back from visiting her. And Sabrina who's honestly been my source of sanity lately is only home for the weekend.

As Sabby and i sit at the breakfast room table and watched two bluebirds splash in the birdbath in the perfectly manicured backward, i can't help but think what a great day it would be to go on a picnic or spend the day at the beach with someone, that someone being Quincy preferably. But whatever.
Thank goodness I'm going back to work tomorrow because...whew!
I had just taking a sip of my hot chocolate tea when I heard a brief tap on the kitchen door, followed by a key turning in the lock. We watched as dad thrust open the door.

"Good morning," he said, striding to the table and giving me a dutiful peck on the cheek, then Sabrina.

"Hi daddy." We chorus.

"How's your mother?"

"Better. We just came from the hospital and she seemed to be on her way to full recovery." Sabrina answered excitedly, smiling at dad. I think she might be exaggerating a little bit, mom doesn't seem to be getting any better, but I'm not going to break her heart by mentioning any of that.

"Great," dad said, easing into a chair across the table from her.

"Would you like a cup of coffee? I ask.

"No I've just finished several, thanks son."

"So how long can you stay?" Sabrina asked dad.

"Since it's Sunday, hopefully all day."

Sabrina drained the rest of her tea and stood up. "I'll get dressed and we can go see mom." She said.

"I can't go, Ayanna is coming over." I chimed in distractedly as I check my phone for the gazillion time.

"Don't be in a rush, I think we should talk. We all should." Dad said. He had a somber expression on his face which peaked my curiosity.

"About what?" Sabrina asked.

"Your mother for starters." Dad said, and i released the breath I think know i was holding. I'm both surprised and relieved that he didn't launch into a tirade about Quincy.

"I'm going to put her into a special care home."

Sabrina jumped back up to her feet at that. "No daddy, please don't." She protested.

"I've made up my mind, she needs more care than we can give her. I work round the clock, Sebastian has a lot on his plate, and you should focus on your studies."

"But a nursing home though?" Sabrina wailed.
I didn't know what to say or how to feel about this latest development so I remained silent, I'm going to need more information.

"It's not a nursing home sweetheart, it's a special care unit that LV memorial just completed, and she'll have round the clock care. I've made all the arrangements." Dad said in that final tone that we're very much familiar with.

"Ugh!" Sabrina huffed and stormed off, almost slamming the door off it's hinges. Dad sighed.

I've actually heard about that unit from Ayanna and how lovely it was, maybe it wasn't such a bad idea. "Alright dad, we'll try it for a while and see how it works."