Chapter 2

This was such a hard decision, but these decisions had to be made.

I went to pick up the child, only to notice that the woman started to move. I thought she was dead...fuck...I was about to leave her...I reacted out of instinct and reached for the beam pushing it up, sparks went up and a smaller beam came down, whilst gripping onto the beam, I quickly pulled the young girl into me before the beam would land on her.

"I've got you baby girl, I'm gonna help your momma, just stay close to me okay? Hang in there and get as low as possible", she nodded whilst crying for her mother.

I turned back to the beam to then pull the mother out, I noticed she started to take heavy breathes. I made the decision of taking my mask off and putting it on her. 

She opened her eyes in shock to the cold mist along with the heat of the fire, she quickly looked around in search of her daughter, she struggled to get back on her feet, so I pulled her over my shoulder whilst carrying the young girl in my arms.

I turned around realising that I had left my crew without them knowing where or when I did. fuck.

I continued down the stairs now running out of breathe, I had to stop as the smoke had started to fill my lungs, I panted for breathe. 

Suddenly a loud bang came from above us...the walls were caving in from up above us, I quickly got on my feet and got to the nearest hallway, as the debris crashed its way down the stairs, luckily the building had two staircases each side and we only had two more floors to go. 

I ran across the hall, feeling the weight on my shoulders, not from the people i'm holding but from the smoke filling my lungs and the heat of the hellish flames. I started to slow down.

I crashed to the floor, struggling to breathe. "You have to get up, please" a young voice cried. I looked up at her and her mother started to get up and help me. 

"You need to go, can you walk? There's only one floor left the exit is just there" 

She nodded and picked up her daughter, "I'll send h-help..." she quickly took the mask off and placed it over me. I gasped for the air, it was like heaven and hell in my lungs right now. 

I slowly started to get up and all I could feel was the heat, the pain in my chest, I blinked through the smoke and embers from the fire as I leaned against the wall trying to make my way out.

Suddenly, another beam crashed down onto me, I screamed in pain as a shard of wood had inpaled my abdomen. I felt bile rise from my stomach from the pain, I tried to crawl out from under the beam but the weight of the ceiling had also collapsed. I was trapped. Ironic huh?

Is this how it ends? I made my father proud, I had done my job, right? My eyes started to fall but it opened to the sudden release of the beam, two of my crew members supporting it up as I felt Taylor's arms grip around me, pulling me out, she kneeled down carrying me over her shoulders as they all rushed out.

Then I passed out.