Chapter 19

The restaurant was like a large luxurious cabin with a stone fireplace built in the centre. There were wooden pillars and beams that connected the walls and ceiling together giving the the place a more traditional and cosy look. The walls were filled with photographs of scenic areas that tourists would come to visit in the National Park.

We were guided to our table as I pulled the chair out for Olivia to sit. And they say chivalry was dead.

We looked at the menu that was sat in the middle of the table before Olivia started to talk.

"This day has been amazing Nat. I can't believe how much you know about this place."

"My father always took me, my mother and brother here when we got the chance and I haven't been here since. My father always talked about the history about this place, he could literally talk about this place for hours on end." I chuckled.

"I didn't know you had a brother."

"My parents divorced not long after that last trip. I guess they were having problems but I was 16 at the time and was completely oblivious." I paused. "My brother was two years older than I, but when he died that pretty much did it for my parents. My mom couldn't handle the grief along with my fathers drinking together, so she ended up leaving him and found someone else not long after. I don't really hear from her often."

Olivia looked at me in shock, not knowing what to say. "I'm so sorry Nat, I didn't know...w-what happened to him?"

I sighed and thought for a second.

"He uh...he died from a fire. He was at a house party and we got told that most of them were pretty intoxicated from the alcohol. I begged him not to go because we were going to go out for my 17th birthday but it ended up in an argument so we ended up not going since dad was at the station. They claimed it was arson from a neighbours security camera across the road from them." I took a shaky breathe. "My father partly blames himself because he was there as first responder with his crew, he told me about how he managed to get everyone out of there alive but it was only Zack - my brother - and two other guys. They were caught in the fire and had taken in too much smoke...thats why my dad started to drink."

"Oh my god did they find out who did it?"

"No, all they gathered from the footage was a guy about 6 foot and most likely had a burn mark at the top of his arm as he had fire on his sleeve as he ran away from the scene."

"I can't believe someone would do that. They're sadistic!" She said. "Your brother...what was he like?"

"We were inseparable, he was always there for me whenever I needed him. He accepted me when I realised I liked girls when my mother didn't. He was the best brother anyone could ask for. He just got accepted for his fire training with a few of his friends. Two of them are Chris and Melanie, who you met at that get together. so they decided to throw a party. After the incident and grieving I decided to do the same, following in my dads footsteps and honouring my brothers ambition. I wanted to save as many lives as I could, I never want any family go through that pain and loss."

"That's why I didn't hesitate to go back to you once I noticed you were moving. I thought you were dead and had to make a tough decision, but I couldn't have a young girl without her mother knowing that I could've helped. I couldn't carry that burden. Now look at us" I chuckled.

"I couldn't be anymore happier than being here with you and sharing this moment with you. The last thing I said to my brother was that I hated him and I've hated myself ever since, even though I know that he knew I didn't mean it. All I've known is pain and heartbreak but you've helped me to become a better person in myself and helped me to manage that pain I still have. You make me feel vulnerable but safe at the same time and I couldn't be any more thankful. I can't hide away my feelings from you because I don't want to miss the chance of getting you to fall for me too and I'll do everything it takes Liv."

She placed her hand on top of mine, unsure about what to say. It was a lot to take in so I gave her time.

"Nat, don't hate yourself for that. I'm sure he knows that you love him no matter what. We all say things in heated arguments that we don't mean. He's looking over you, look where you are now. I'm sure he would be proud of you. You've already made me fall for you Nat, you're just making me fall harder. You've made such an impact on not just mine, but Sky's life too. I hope you know that." She smiled showing me her adorable dimples. Her words had made me so grateful for having her in my life.

The waitress came over ready to take our orders, I looked over at Olivia. "I'll have whatever she's having"

She smiled at me, "I'll take a small house field greens salad with chicken on the side please and a bottle of Budweiser?" She looked at me asking me if that was okay, I nodded. "Make that two bottles" I added.

The waitress gave a sweet smile after writing our orders down onto the notepad. "I'll fetch you you're drinks, won't be a moment."

Olivia tilted her head at me, "you're driving though?"

I fumbled my fingers between a leaflet that I had been looking at after we sat down.

"About that..."