Chapter 13

3 days later

Gibble and charmander are ready to evolve and pikachu simply has no limit. I learned that final evolution pokemon have no power limits. The only exceptions are stone evolving pokemon. This is an evolutionary tactic(Darwinian). Since an pokemon evolving through a stone may never find one, they have no built in power limiter. A pokemon with no limiter grows a bit slower than an evolved pokemon with no limiter. This is why pikachu can be as strong as possible, that is why one charizard can defeat 100 other ones but one charmander can only defeat 4 other charmander at max.

Today I am gonna make good on my promise. I am gonna beat surge. Instead of asking the receptionist, I simply walked around the other grunts and shouted"Oi! Surge come out! I gotta beat you and make it back to mom!" The people of the city were shocked. This eleven looking kid had challenged their gym leader so brazenly, he would get crushed. Some were sad or pitying but some were happy to see me get my arrogance shattered

"Oh it's you, James bring up the battle stage. Today will be a good fight. Let's not make it a long one. I challenge you one-on-one. My raichu vs your Gibble." The jaws that fell were plenty enough to make me chuckle." Only if we can spar against each other after this is done" the townsfolk were ready to throw me into a mental hospital. I had just challenged the lightning American to a fist to fist fight. This dude was known for being brutal. But my guts had told me to not look back and I wanted to know his strength.

I may know more martial arts but his one martial art had been refined in the most effective forge. WAR." I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." that quote applies here. I have technical and physical advantage but he had years of practice in the best way how.

"Sure why not". We made up our way to the battle stage."go raichu, be careful we have a good opponent""go Gibble,here is your promised challenge."ooh this raichu is no joke"you have taken care of it well. It's center of gravity is perfect, it's fur coat is shiny but not brushed. The tail and skin are hardened and the electrical signals are flowing perfectly""hah you have a keen eye, but enough of that let's go"

"Raichu thunderbolt.""Gibble dodge and dragon dance"Gibble barely dodge the thunderbolt. It was extremely impressive, it made me realize that the first two gyms are really a joke. This is the true level of gym leaders. This feeling of excitement that even though I may lose, I will be happy. This is exactly what was missing in the fight against Brock.

I knew my eyes were glowing but I didn't care, I looked straight at Surge and smiled like a complete battle maniac. My aura started pulsing, the lack of emotions that are usually stopping me from moving ahead with aura was no more."Gibble keep on going dodge if need be"" raichu thunderbolt followed by quick attack". Gibble dodged the thunderbolt but was unable to move out of the quick attacks way.

"Gibble Gibble GIBBLE" the charged up dragon energy was released in a very impressive dragon claw. It was a direct hit on raichu.Raichu stood out of the dust barely conscious and then fainted. This is exactly what I meant when I said Brock was unbalanced. His defense was not on surges level. Surge specialized in speed and attacking but his pokemon was able to take a point blank full powered dragon claw and still stood awake for a few moments.

The entire town who had witnessed the lieutenants first defeat in months, had their jaws broken. The ones who had lost were cheering for me and those who had witnessed my win, looked at me like I was a miracle.  

Gibble started growing and was enveloped in a bright light. It's height increased to 1.7 meters(1.4 meters is average). It's claws grew sharpers, the fins grew stronger and larger, and in Gibble's place stood a gabite. Yay! Finally a contender to ari in height. The pokemon while not the strongest was the biggest of our group. He constantly needed to be reminded of its strength to stop it from becoming a peacock.

"Gabite" it ran over to me and lowered his head to 60 degrees. By now the crowd was looking at me like a hawk and were trying to pry the secrets of the universe from my brain. Well any way they were super confused and wanted to know why the gabite had lowered its head.

I went ahead and gave it a head pat, then scratched it behind the ear and finished it with a belly rub. Gabite by the end had turned into putty. I actually took out my Pokédex and recorded their reaction. Hahaha. The pokemon that had raised so much chaos, destroyed half the field with one attack and defeated the raichu had turned into this piece of cute jelly.

"Here have the badge. You deserve it far more than anyone I have ever battled.""thanks but I want to fight Mano-e-Mano"" I have been waiting for this since you told me that" he removed his glasses and got in a stance. I called back gabite and pikachu. I took out a quarter and tossed it in the air.

Time seemed to slow down as I looked into surges eyes. I could see the coin rising higher and higher. I could feel all my blood pumping and my aura pulsating. I was overloading with excitement but the only thing on my face was a smile. The coin dropped and I charged.