Chapter 1: The Beginning

Friday, June 15, 1979

It was another dry, hot day in the Summer of 1979. Texas was known for being especially brutal in June but today was record-breaking. Nicole was comfortable in her bedroom, careful not to exert any unnecessary energy as she finally caught up on the newest Octavia E. Butler novel. The bedroom door was open, encouraging better airflow, when her dad, Eric, popped his head in.

Eric: Hey Nicki!

If anyone else dared to call her that name she would immediately put them in their place. "Nicki" was reserved for her father only. Her first love.

Nicole: Hi, Daddy.

Eric: You busy?

Nicole: No, what's going on?

Scrambling to finish the paragraph, Nicole sat up and held the opened book against her chest welcoming her father in the space next to her. The classic definition of "tall, dark, and handsome," Eric had rich brown skin, warm eyes and an easy smile hidden behind thick and perfectly manicured facial hair.

Eric: I just spoke with your mother, her flight was delayed. She won't be home until tomorrow morning.

Nicole: Oh?

Eric: So I need a favor from you...

Nicole: Sure--

Eric: Come with me to a business dinner tonight—

Nicole: Oh, Dad, no! I hate doing that stuff!

Eric and his wife, Janice, owned a small law firm known as The Dillard Group, LLC focusing on Human Rights. While they were satisfied in maintaining their small-business status since conception, the caliber of their clients had grown significantly with each passing year. Most were well-known from all around the country, athletes, politicians, even figures from the entertainment industry. The Dillards worked hard, had extreme dedication and always put their clients first and it showed every day through their work. As a child, Nicole envied these VIPs who stole her parents' attention, making them unavailable for chaperoning class field trips, forcing her to walk home alone from the bus stop and make her own after-school snack. But now, with maturity came understanding. She was no longer resentful and found peace in her solitude. However, she still hated these business dinners. Elite clients often came with hefty egos. They would talk only of their accolades and the people they'd met, never thinking the Dillard's could be equally cultured or interesting. Nicole would be forced to smile and nod at their self righteous stories for hours.

Eric: You know I wouldn't ask unless I really needed your help! The client is only in town for a couple days doing security for a musician. I'd usually wait for your mother, but tonight is the only night they're available and he can't leave the guy unsupervised. I already had to pull a lot of strings with the restaurant, apparently he's pretty popular.

Nicole: What's his name?

Eric: The client? William Bray.

Nicole: No, the musician.