Chapter 27: Family Day - Part One: Destiny

Thursday, December 6, 1979

The morning of Family Day 1979 was surprisingly bright and warm when Nicole arrived at Michael's Hayvenhurst home. By now she was used to pulling up to the iron gates, with Bill as chauffeur. But never before had she brought an overnight bag. It had been almost 2 weeks since they returned from Texas, and though she and Michael would speak for hours nearly every night, they hadn't seen each other since that weekend. Michael had been performing all over the country in the evenings and Nicole was studying and taking final exams during the day. But the semester was finally over now and she couldn't think of a better way to relax and unwind.

Michael stood impatiently outside, holding the collar of his dear friend, Louie the llama, as he watched Bill's car slowly come to a halt at his feet. He couldn't stop grinning but hoped his oversized sunglasses still made him look cool. He opened the door before the gear could shift to park. Bill looked on proudly, impressed at how much they'd grown with each encounter. Nicole emerged wearing light blue flared jean overalls and a tight cropped yellow t-shirt cut just below her navel, her hair in two loose braids. Before she could fully stand, Michael pulled her tight for a hug, his strong arms around her waist lifting her feet just barely off the concrete drive. She squealed with excitement as they whispered between kisses, Nicole tasting the fresh stick of gum on his lips.

Nicole: Hey, Michael.

Michael: Hello.

Nicole: I missed you.

Michael: I missed you more.

Nicole: I love you.

Michael: I love you more.

Nicole: You look great.

Michael: You look... Delicious.

She giggled, loving the way the words dragged off his tongue. Nicole reached up, gently pulling the shades from his face, folding the arms over his shirt collar. His eyes matched hers with desire. She was tempted to kick Bill out and pull Michael back into the car with her. They could drive away somewhere secluded for an hour alone...

Michael: How have you been?

Nicole: Really good! I got my final scores in this morning. All A's!

Michael: Really? Oh, that's incredible! I'm so so proud of you!

Nicole: Thank you, Michael.

Michael: Maybe we should... Celebrate...?

Nicole felt her cheeks warm as she bit her lip and watched Michael's eyes roll over her body--

Tito: Hey, Mike!

They both jumped at the sound of his name. A gang of three small children were running towards them. Tito and his wife walked hand-in-hand a few steps back.

Taj: Uncle Doo Doo!

Michael's eyes lit up as he dropped to his knees and two of the three boys tackled him. The youngest was still a little shaky on his feet but bubbled over with excitement when he finally caught up and jumped on top of the pile. Nicole stood back as the boys gently wrestled. Soon Tito and Dee Dee caught up and introduced themselves.