Chapter 49: A Totally Different Person

Sunday, February 17, 1980

As their last full day in New York, Nicole was eager to make the most of it. Fighting the temptation to kiss Michael awake, she decided to focus her energy on Michael's second favorite skill of hers. Cooking. This most important meal of the day would be a feast! Eggs, and grits, and french toast, and bacon-- turkey bacon, but it would do.

The heavy rhythm of Sister Sledge singing, "We are Family," mixed with the aromas of frying food and fresh coffee, woke Laura next. And finding her friend smiling on Cloud 9, made Laura instantly joyous as well. They laughed and danced and cooked together, with the rotating tracks of R&B narrating the playlist of their lives.

Hardly a morning person, Michael awoke soon after, unable to resist the heavenly voice of Anita Ward singing, "Ring My Bell," even in his dreams. With heavy eyes, he laughed at the double-vision of matching pajamas twirling in his kitchen as their untrained falsettos mimicked the song.

As her hands carved a pineapple, Laura watched Nicole cover her boyfriend in early morning affection, grinning proudly as she squeezed his fingertips and showed off the buffet. Laura remembered a phone call with her friend, not long before this trip began, where Nicole told her that these rituals were what she missed most about having Michael around. He was "most tender" then, she said, when he was dreary, defenses still lowered. Before the weight of the day made him stressed and weak or withdrawn. He looked like a boy, Laura thought, as he rubbed his eyes and shuffled his socks across the wood floors in too-big sleep clothes. He sat, his perfect teeth and endless eyes whispering "good morning" directly to her. And for the first time, Laura found herself sincerely wishing the same to him in return.

Good morning.

Nicole made tea, stalling to give the grits an extra 5 minutes to soften before she started fixing plates, while Laura called Bill. He came quickly, laughing as Michael teased how hungry he must've been. It was true! Bill couldn't remember the last time either man had a home-cooked meal, shocked the groceries in the fridge were still edible. The cheer was infectious, so Bill soaked it up, giving everyone a grateful kiss on the cheek. Even Michael, though he rolled his eyes and groaned like a surly teenager, appreciated the closeness.

It was good. The food. The music. The company. The camaraderie.

A good morning.

The clock ticked far too quickly. Nicole enjoyed the sight of her favorite people sharing in harmony, her chin pressed to Michael's shoulder as they sat side-by-side at the kitchen table. Her fingers softly twirled his matted curls, while the other hand plucked pineapple chunks into her mouth. With a silent satisfaction, she watched him eat, not just the "clean" foods "straight from the Earth," but everything on his plate. With every bite, he softened, smiling a little easier while the tension melted from his body. As one ear listened to the others joke and plan for the day's activities, Nicole's mind drifted far away.