Chapter 6: August 29, 1979 🧁

Wednesday, August 29, 1979

Michael received his first 'happy birthday' wishes from Nicole, right as the clock struck midnight. They'd already been speaking on the phone for well over an hour. Nicole was telling a sweet story about the last birthday party she'd hosted the year she turned nine. Her parents hired a clown, ordered pizza, and arranged a few games for a simple house party but when the clown showed up intoxicated and vomited all over the middle of the carpet it led to a domino-effect of regurgitating nine-year-olds sending everyone into a frenzy. There's never been another party at the Dillard house since. Michael was laughing hysterically at her story while Nicole watched the clock, waiting for August 28th to turn August 29th. Instantly she broke into song, serenading awkwardly through a toothy grin, forcing Michael smile back. It was the first time he'd heard her sing.

Michael thought back to this moment now as he lay on the floor reading the latest comic in the new "The Invincible Iron Man" series. Tony Stark's malfunctioning armor had just caused him to inadvertently kill the foreign ambassador, and now, powerless and lonely, he has resorted to alcoholism as a comfort.

It was late in the morning now and Michael had yet to leave his bedroom. Some days were hard. He'd get tangled in his own thoughts, daydreaming and losing track of time. He couldn't stop wondering what it meant to be 21. Tony Stark would treat himself to a bottle of booze. Maybe Michael should try that?

Michael rolled onto his back staring up at the ceiling, his eyes following the crown molding around the corners of the room... Maybe he should reconsider moving out? No, he knew he didn't want to do that. Living in a home with his parents at this age wasn't ideal, but it was true, he would die of loneliness if he left. Though he could very well die of loneliness now... Maybe he was just restless? After all the energy and time put into creating and perfecting and promoting "Off the Wall," for the first time in recent history, Michael had reached a bit of a lull. He needed a new project, something to devote his free time and energy to--

Katherine: Michael?

Her voice was like a song. There was a soft knock on the door before it creaked open and Michael's mother appeared.

Michael: Good morning, Mother.

Katherine: Oh, good, you're awake! Come here, baby.

Michael rose to his feet and embraced his mother warmly. It was like their own private "bat signal" had gone off alerting Katherine that she was needed. She was his superhero; fighting the villains in his mind with her love and quiet strength. She kissed his cheek softly before holding his face in both hands. He stood over a foot taller than her now but their smiles matched up perfectly.

Katherine: Happy birthday my sweet Michael. I can't believe how grown-up you are!

Michael just blushed and shrugged. His mom was his idol and inspiration. Everything he did was to make her proud. And while he considered his siblings to be his closest friends, Katherine was his greatest ally, often knowing more about Michael than he knew about himself.