Chapter 46: Love Is A Donut 🍩

It seemed irresponsible to urgently wake Michael and demand answers as Laura repeatedly insisted the entire way home

It seemed irresponsible to urgently wake Michael and demand answers as Laura repeatedly insisted the entire way home. Michael having an affair with Diana Ross? It seemed laughable! Yet, the weight in Nicole's stomach refused to ease.

Nicole preferred Good Cop tactics, unwilling to believe her boyfriend's intentions were impure. So immediately after returning to the condo, Nicole plated up a donut, poured a glass of orange juice, and went straight to Michael's bedroom. He was still asleep when she sat next to him, fingering his curly hair until he turned and flickered his eyes to hers.

Michael: Hey...

Nicole: Good morning Michael.

Michael: Am I still dreaming? You look so beautiful.

Even on the days she felt the ugliest, Michael called her beautiful. Oh, how she adored him.

No!

Focus!

Don't let yourself be distracted by his gorgeous eyes and spellbinding words!

Nicole: It's not a dream, Michael. I'm right here. I brought you breakfast. We just got back from a little bakery and got you some donuts.

Michael: Wow, thank you. It smells great.

But his eyes didn't leave her. She wondered what he was thinking, but didn't ask, forcing herself to concentrate.

Nicole: Can I ask you a question?

Michael: Of course. Anything.

Why would a man who's hiding something, say "anything?"

Michael sat up and reached for the juice on his nightstand. The black sheets slid down his body, revealing real pajamas, the kind with a patterned flannel button down shirt that matched the pants, though still probably two sizes too large. She was distracted by the formality for a moment, until she remembered her mission again.

Nicole: How's the project going? Did you get a lot done last night?

Michael: Oh yeah, it's going great! Last night was a real breakthrough. We're still creating. It's still the inception you know? Conceiving everything and formulating all the ideas. We want to really explore all our options before we set it in stone. It's like a child, you know, we're letting him grow.

Oh great, now you and Diana have a child!?

Nicole: Right. But what's it about?

Michael: Umm, a lot of things. Life and a person's journey in that way. Human circumstances and emotions and the collective consciousness we feel with the Earth and our spirits. It's about healing and coping and growth.

She wondered if the confusion was evident on her face as his words faded out. Clearing his throat, Michael kissed Nicole's cheek, then rose, walking towards the bathroom. Admiring his graceful stride, she remained seated, trying desperately to digest the word-jambalaya he just tried to feed her. The words repeated slower in her mind, still not making sense.