Chapter 14: Got to be There

Sustaining themselves on a barbaric amount of snacks and candy, Michael and Nicole were hyper for most of the drive

Sustaining themselves on a barbaric amount of snacks and candy, Michael and Nicole were hyper for most of the drive. Michael would find humor in the most mundane situations. Even when stuck in traffic he had a great spirit, making games from license plate numbers, or staring into random cars, wondering what they were talking about or what songs were playing on their radio. Together Nicole and he would make up stories about the strangers' carpooling together, guessing whose in-laws they were visiting for the holiday based on which spouse looked more miserable. 

Everything became a game. And subconsciously, Nicole loved to play.

Nicole's tensions disappeared as Michael's laugh eased her fears and helped her forget again that this relationship was doomed. Listening to the same tracks on repeat, Michael knew more than just the lyrics, he'd studied every note. Following the melody of the instruments one at a time, Michael would pause, anticipating one special chord, then ask Nicole if she heard it too. She never could. But Nicole welcomed the distraction and the vibrance of his smile when Michael would ask, "Isn't that a great sound!?" And in the quiet moments, as one track played out to introduce the next, Michael would reach for Nicole's hand, comforting her in a way she would never admit to needing.

On a normal trip from LA to her home in El Paso, Nicole would plan to be on the road for 12 hours, so she would split the drive over two days, each way. But by the time they reached the half point, due to unaccounted for Thanksgiving traffic, it was nearly 6 PM. The candy high was plummeting to a crash and miserable stomachaches as Michael and Nicole were each growing tired and restless. 

Circling the streets for a hotel that wasn't at capacity, it was close to 9 hours after starting their journey that Michael parked at a mid-level inn nearly to Tucson. The room was nothing special. Green carpet, the same shade as the patterned wallpaper, was dense and cold. The window unit blew out stale air. Even the fluorescent lights had a tint of sadness. Two matching beds claiming to be Queen sized anchored the room, alarming Nicole in their abnormally square shape. But it was fine. Everything looked clean enough for just one night.

Michael yawned loudly before throwing his bag to the floor and collapsing onto the bed closest to the door.

Michael: Driving is so much work!

Nicole: I know. But we're more than halfway now. I told you you wouldn't want to come.

Michael: No, no, I'm still excited!... Just tired.

She watched him a little longer, his face buried to the pillow gave his words a muffled filter. Michael was wearing black loafers, fully visible under his perfectly fitted jeans. His jacket was the same black bomber he wore the time he picked Nicole up before the sunrise. Nicole loved that jacket on him, accentuating the broadness of his back and slim cut of his waist.

Nicole: Maybe before you fall asleep, we could clarify some things?

Michael: Hmm?

Michael rolled onto his back, shirt lifting to the top of his belt as he struggled to kick off his shoes.