Chapter 32: Anytime, Anyplace

Friday, December 7, 1979

Michael and Nicole awoke slowly together at the break of dawn, giggling and covering each other's faces with kisses. It was like a dream to wake up in their lovers' arms after so much time apart. But as the daylight grew brighter, reality began to sink in for Michael. How would his family react that Nicole had stayed the night-- in his bed? He didn't care for the breakfast stares and faux-pleasantries, just like he didn't care for it the day before. So Michael planned their escape.

It was never abnormal for Michael to sleep the day away. So he called Bill at the security gate to request that he prepare a car so he could take Nicole home. Michael would drop her off and be back by noon before anyone grew suspicious. Bill picked them up from Michael's back patio in a covered golf cart cluttered with gardening supplies where no one could see in. They kept their heads low, and when they drove past Marlon and Carol starting their morning in the hot tub, Bill just smiled and waved calmly. No one would be the wiser...

It was a beautiful Fall morning, about 60 degrees with a light breeze and growing warmer by the second. Nicole rolled her window down, breathing in the chill in the air as they weaved through the neighborhoods. She felt like she was living in a fairytale with her brown-skinned prince and his Rolls-Royce steed. He looked cool in his black glasses, smiling into the sun as his fingers absentmindedly drummed a beat against her wrist. The car parked. Michael stayed still, silently admiring the playful squirrels and the casually-dressed girl walking her dog.

Nicole: Aren't you going to come in?

A boyish grin instantly covered Michael's face. This was the invitation he'd been waiting for! Michael dressed quickly in his baseball cap before leaping from the car. They held hands in a familiar way as she led him down the sidewalk and up the stairs. Then he paused, frozen in the doorway as she went straight to the kitchen to fill a glass of water for her plants. He watched her drift around the room, still wearing his shirt from the night before. It fit her perfectly. She was so different from the woman who opened the door for him here just weeks ago, so full of nerves and tension he was hardly allowed to touch her. This new woman was beautiful and confident and covered in love, casually welcoming Michael into her home like it was no big deal.

Nicole opened the blinds after tending to her plants, then turned to see Michael still standing just outside the door. He was clearly studying her, though she wasn't sure why. She went to him, pulling him in by the loose fabric of his sweatshirt.

Nicole: You can have a seat if you want.

Michael: Really!?

Nicole: Sure... Make yourself at home. Do you want a drink?

Michael: Oh, no. I'm fine.

He wandered to the sofa before sitting, his knees tight together and hands folded neatly over Nicole's bag he carried in from the car. He was grinning, wide eyes scanning the room still. It took everything in him to remember his mother's words, "keep your nose out of other people's things!" Nicole walked up to him, still suspicious of his sudden timidness, but not daring to inquire more, and took her bag from his lap before pivoting down the hall.