Chapter 3: Glorious

Sunday, June 17, 1979

Unwittingly, Nicole found herself waiting by the phone. And when Michael's call finally came through at 11:38pm, she tried her best to keep cool.

Nicole: Hello?

Michael: Nicole? Hi, it's Michael.

Nicole: Oh, hey.

Michael: I didn't wake you this time, did I?

Nicole: Oh no, I was waiting for--

Dang it!

Nicole: Uh, you know, I mean I was reading and thought you might call... so...

Michael: Mhhmm...

She could hear his grin through the phone. Then a long moment of silence as they waited for each other to speak first.

Nicole: Okay, I have a confession to make.

Michael: Yes?

Nicole: I kind of feel like I've been talking to you for hours already -- I um, spent all day in the record store listening to your albums.

Michael: You're serious!?

Nicole: Yes, it's true-- 

Michael's howling laughter stopped her mid-sentence. Embarrassed, she laughed too.

Michael: Well, what'd you think!?

Nicole: You're not bad!

Michael: Gosh, thank you! I appreciate that very much.

Nicole: I actually feel badly that I didn't know more of your songs. The store had a whole rack dedicated to just your family!

Michael continued to giggle as Nicole fingered the hard plastic cover of her new cassette tape. The inside sleeve featured a young 16 year-old Michael holding a dove titled, "The Best of Michael Jackson." It seemed hard to believe a teenager could have a compilation album of greatest hits, but when Nicole listened to the tracks in the record store, each one made her melt.

Michael: What'd you listen to?

Nicole: I don't remember everything, you and your brothers have a ton of music! The salesman just told me what the most popular was. There was one where you were really little, holding a guitar, that was really good-- I thought you didn't play any instruments?

Michael: I really don't, it was just for the photo. That's 'Music and Me,' that's one of my favorites, I love that track.

Nicole: Then I listened to some tracks when you were with your group. The 'Going Places' album was my favorite. It sounded so different from the other stuff you guys had done.

Michael: Oh sure! I loved that album too. Gamble and Huff are amazing! True geniuses, really.

Nicole: Every track just sounds like you're having so much fun.