Chapter 48: Growing Up

Bill was silently ecstatic, grinning like a proud father when Michael and Nicole emerged from the bedroom ready to attend the Broadway show

Bill was silently ecstatic, grinning like a proud father when Michael and Nicole emerged from the bedroom ready to attend the Broadway show. He complimented them, admiring how good they looked, Nicole in a simple black dress with boots and black tights. Michael in a smooth fitted blazer, afro wig, and poorly drawn mustache. He looked like a boy again. But not just in attire, Bill praised how good the couple looked together. Hand in hand. Smiling with hope in their eyes and a radiating warmth in their hearts.

Laura's gaze was less optimistic as she snatched Nicole's hand, pulling her eagerly into the kitchen. As she pretended to fix the pins in Nicole's hair, she whispered, begging for the juicy details.

Laura: What's going on? You two made up!? I knew that 'no sex' thing was bullshit--

Nicole: Laura, quit it.

Nicole thought back to the moments after she denied Michael's touch. She could sense his reluctance as he dressed her slowly. She was questioning if she'd made a terrible mistake herself, in promising Michael they'd be celibate together until he returned to LA, knowing how good just a teasing finger or flick of his tongue would feel inside her. Now she knew for certain that Michael's decision to abstain from sex was not one he made lightly.

But just that small dose of intimacy did the two a world of good, instantly finding comfort and ease in touching and smiling together. The hurt and animosity would be pushed under the rug for another day, because now, they were on the same team. Partners in their fight against physical temptation. They kissed frequently as they prepared for the play, but Michael's hands remained at bay, reminding Nicole of the early days of their courtship.

I kiss you like that again...

Nicole hoped it would serve as motivation. She'd do whatever it took to get Michael home and in her bed again.

Laura: Girl, come on! I need details--

Nicole's eyes blinked back to her friend's craving stare. Then she turned, searching the room to see Michael by the door, flexing the collar of his coat to hide his neck. He winked. She blushed.

Nicole: I can't give you details, Laura. Not anymore.

Laura: Why!? What'd I do!?

Nicole watched as her eyes shrunk, so she reached for her best friend's hands. She had no intention of making Laura feel guilty for her own negligence.

Nicole: Nothing! It's not you-- it's just... Michael and I have a lot of work to do, you know? We want to get back to a good place. And it's not fair to him if every time I'm upset, I go crying to you. Then I get even more worked up, when it's just a simple misunderstanding--

Laura: Oh my God, did he say anything about Diana Ross!? You have to tell me!--

Nicole: Laura, that's exactly my point. You didn't do anything wrong. You're my best friend and I'm so used to having you by my side in everything, but I'm learning that some things have to be just between Michael and me. You understand, don't you?