Chapter 21: Thanksgiving Day - Part Two: Dinner

With ten minutes to spare, Nicole emerged from her room in a patterned olive green short sleeve sweater tucked into a black circle skirt

With ten minutes to spare, Nicole emerged from her room in a patterned olive green short sleeve sweater tucked into a black circle skirt. Her hair was blow-dried straight for the first time in months. She could hear her parents talking and moving around downstairs as she walked the hall to Michael's room. Knocking rhythmically on the door, she heard no response, then pressed her ear close. Water was running under the sounds of Michael's muffled humming to a classical song on the radio. Nicole knocked again before cracking the door open. She could see Michael across the room standing in the bathroom mirror.

Spotting Nicole in the reflection, Michael waived her in as he pressed a towel to his face and turned the faucet off. He sucked air in through gritted teeth as he grinned in the mirror to admire himself. Michael was wearing creased black slacks with a fresh fitted white t-shirt. His belt was laced but the front button and zipper hung open.

Michael: Wow, you look wonderful!

Michael took her hand and gave her a quick twirl, watching her skirt rise to show her bare thighs. She blushed a little when he ran his fingers through the ends of her thick hair. He'd never seen it straight before.

Nicole: Yeah? My mom always likes when I wear my hair like this...

Michael: Oh yes. You look lovely.

Nicole: Thank you Michael. Now let's get you dressed.

He stretched a black dress shirt over his shoulders as Nicole started fastening the buttons for him. Michael watched her petite hands grazing his chest as he started tucking his shirts in from the back. Countless strangers had helped him dress for countless events and functions over his lifetime. But her small touch, though so simple, suddenly felt so intimate. Her hands slowed as they worked closer towards his belly. Then lower. Suddenly flustered, Michael cleared his throat and pivoted back to the sink to button his pants and pick up a bold golden-colored cardigan he'd left on the countertop. Adjusting the layers in the mirror, he turned back to Nicole and smiled proudly. His arms were open, asking "How do I look?"

Returning the smile, Nicole approached him again to fix the hairs behind his ears. He looked amazing. Turning to the mirror, she was startled by the reflection. Like in a photo, the two sets of eyes watched her, making her realize she'd never seen herself and Michael together like this before. Like a pair. Like a couple. Like a perfect match. Still looking in the mirror, she reached for Michael's hand, pulling him until his arm flexed over her shoulders and she held him there. Michael's beauty was obvious and effortless, but this was the first time she considered if, as half of this couple, someone would ever think the same of her.

Michael: We look good, don't we, girl?

She smiled a little, looking straight into their reflection but didn't speak. He could see the wheels turning and wondered what Nicole was thinking of. He hugged her closer, pressing his nose into the back of her head. Her fingers reached back touching him softly on the cheek.