Chapter 9: Going Steady - Part Two: Are you Awake?

Each date brought the two closer, though rarely getting a chance to meet more than once a week

Each date brought the two closer, though rarely getting a chance to meet more than once a week. On days the weather was nice Michael and Nicole would have picnics in the yard, or just drive through the streets with the windows down. In time, their comfort with each other grew. Less questions like, "What's your favorite..." and more unprompted stories and singing along to the radio. They laughed together constantly, playing silly games as they daydreamed aloud about the shapes they saw float by in the clouds. It was natural, as easy as taking a breath, and it was nice to no longer feel so alone.

Sunday, October 7, 1979

It was just after 2 AM, Sunday morning when Nicole's phone woke her up. Thinking it a dream, she stayed in bed. Until it rang again, and again, and again. Finally, at the fifth chime, she sprung from bed to answer in a panic.

Nicole: Hello!?

Michael: I'm so sorry to wake you, I--

Nicole: Michael? Is everything alright? Are you hurt?

Michael: No, not in that way. I'm alright, I promise... I-- I just, um -- I can't sleep and couldn't stop thinking about you. I'm sorry, that's so selfish of me.

Nicole: Oh, that's okay... You don't sound too good, are you sure--

Michael: Yes, I'm fine.

In the silence, Michael heard the mattress creak as she laid down again. He truly didn't mean to scare her, but the urge to be close to her was overwhelming. Just hearing Nicole's voice, a whimpering sigh as she stretched and cradled the phone, was calming him instantly.

Michael: Do you mind if we talk?

Nicole: Mmhm. What do you--

Michael: Could you come outside?

Nicole: ... What? It's the middle of the night?

Michael: I'm outside... In my car. Will you come sit with me?

Hesitating for just a second, Nicole agreed and quickly freshened up in the bathroom before pulling on shoes and a sweatshirt. Michael's headlights were quick to spot as she hurried down the stairs to his car. The cold wind was aggressive tonight. Michael watched her shoulders shrivel close to her body. She was wearing thin cotton shorts and he instantly felt worse for calling her out here to the cold. But if she were miserable, there was no way to know it. Nicole smiled the instant she saw Michael and entered the car with a pleasant sigh, glad to be in the warmth next to him. They eyed each other softly, and knowing he would never admit it, she wondered if he'd been crying. Before he could apologize again, she pulled him in for a hug, holding his neck strongly in the crook of her own.

Nicole: Did you have a bad dream, Love?

Love. 

She'd never called him that before. He nodded, a lie so much easier than the truth. Michael had expressed his nighttime restlessness to Nicole several times before. Often it would come in the form of vivid dreams or insomnia, but fueled by late performances and jet lag. And normally in those cases Michael would find ways to self-soothe through dancing, "Stooges" marathons, or  journaling his thoughts to turn off his brain. She knew for Michael to drive all the way to see her in the middle of the night, whatever was bothering him must've been serious. And maybe she should have, but Nicole didn't pry. When she eventually released him, he still held on, moving now to her lips. He immersed himself in her, longing for as much of a taste she was willing to give.