Chapter 52: Escapism (Part Three)

For the first time in months, Michael was on Cloud 9, forgetting how much he'd missed the stage and magic of performing

For the first time in months, Michael was on Cloud 9, forgetting how much he'd missed the stage and magic of performing. The crowd was cheering for more, but one song was all he could handle. Diana could tell as she pulled him close, wrapping her arms lovingly around his neck until her hair buried his face. The small of her back was damp with sweat. He remembered his dream, before quickly backing up, blushing in a way Diana always found endearing. She kissed him, then took Michael's microphone to address their adoring fans.

Diana: My Baby!!

Like Vanna White she raised his arm to show the world her proudest achievement.

Diana Ross Presents...

They bowed. And though Diana could've spent a lifetime living in the afterglow, Michael pulled her off the stage by the hand she wouldn't release.

Diana: Oh Michael, that was wonderful!

He let her hug him one more time, squeezing Michael's shoulders as she gushed about how exciting it would be to perform like that again.

Every night on Broadway would feel exactly like this...

But that conversation would wait for another night. Diana chattered on as Michael found his jacket and slipped his shades over his eyes. Back to the darkness. Then Steve re-appeared, joining Diana in planning a whole summer of performances! Not a full concert-- just a quick gig with one or two songs. A little surprise at the end of every night to keep the guests coming back! Never able to say "no," Michael smiled and nodded along. Already struggling to move away from the "Jacksons" image, the last thing Michael wanted was to commit himself as one half of a duet starring Diana Ross.

Rolling his hidden eyes, Michael fought to return to the balcony as Diana clung to his arm. She was giggling into every camera lens and pausing for autographs for anyone who dared look their direction. The joy of escape was fading away from Michael as this night turned into one of a million.

He couldn't say "no."

Upstairs continued the torment. Michael was handed a drink he didn't want as acquaintances who claimed to be "friends" clustered together for another set of blinding camera shutters.

Michael closed his eyes, an extra layer of security behind the black camouflage.

They were pulling, tugging on his arms with their good intentions. Just a little longer to play along. Diana laughed loudly in his ear so Michael forced a brighter smile, pretending to know the joke.

Where was Bill?

He opened his eyes to search the room but couldn't see a thing past the flashes. A row of people were posing around him for the next photo. And another. And just one more--

"Everybody smile!"

Finally they dispersed and  Michael heard his name.

Please, no more.