Chapter 8: Going Steady - Part One: The Rebel

Within just one week, things changed dramatically

Within just one week, things changed dramatically. Michael had a fax machine sent and set up at Nicole's apartment allowing him the ease and luxury of sending doodles, jokes, and random "thinking of you" messages at all times of day. In addition, he arranged for Bill to have his schedule sent to Nicole first thing every morning, welcoming her into his life fully. Michael was very serious about Nicole's education, as was she of course, so with limited weekdays and Michael's rigorous traveling and performing schedule on weekends, they agreed to see each other as regularly as possible. Dates would be easy and casual. No pressure. "Going steady" was new for them both and while Nicole and Michael wanted to get to know each other, neither were ready for the weight of a serious adult relationship quite yet. It was nice to feel their time together didn't require so much planning and effort. And honestly, both were pleased with the arrangement.

Friday, August 31, 1979:

Nicole finished schooling by noon this Friday, leaving her time to unwind. And in typical fashion, that meant reclining on the sofa with a good book and a cup of tea. But Michael had a few unplanned hours before a late-night rehearsal and vocal lesson, then would be out of town for shows over the weekend. So he invited Nicole over. It was the first time they would see each other since becoming 'official' so each were nervous but excited. Nicole was picked up on campus by Bill. As they approached the gated entrance to Hayvenhurst, an intercom buzzed.

Bill: Mr. Jackson, I'm approaching with Miss. Dillard.

Michael: Alright! Thank you, Bill.

The car slowed to the back of the property on a circular drive, offering a scenic view of the peacocks roaming aimlessly near a stunning brick fountain. Bill came around to open the door as Nicole collected her things from the backseat. By the time she emerged, she saw Michael jogging swiftly across the grass towards them. He looked weightless, his bare feet never quite hitting the ground. Michael stopped right behind Bill, slapping him on the shoulders, but staring at Nicole as he smiled breathlessly.

Michael: Hi!

Nicole: Hey, Michael.

Bill stood inadvertently between the two as an unwilling shield for Michael's discomfort. Michael just giggled when Bill poked his ribs, urging him to move closer to his new girlfriend, but clearly too shy to take the hint.

Bill: Hey Mike, why don't you take the young lady's books? Maybe get her some snacks or somethin,' huh?

Michael: Oh! Right-on!

They fumbled with the pass-off as Michael took two steps closer, collecting her books and kissing her cheek. His touch made Nicole blush and generate a snorting noise that she quickly tried to camouflage by clearing her throat. Bill just rolled his eyes, getting back in the car to park it in the proper space. 

Cute kids.

Michael: So... What'd you learn today?

It was an odd question, like something a parent would ask, but Nicole was used to this from Michael now. As a first-year student, all of her classes were pretty rudimentary. But considering the cross-country move and the fact she'd taken a year off post-high school, there was a lot to get reacquainted with. And now with a new relationship, Nicole felt like she was at capacity. Michael knew her concerns, so even though she was now officially a full week into the regular class routine, he was quick to offer support, just as promised. And she was grateful for it.