Chapter 17: Just Listen - Part Two ⚠

Author's Note: This chapter, while not explicit, may induce painful triggers and memories of abuse. Please read with caution. 

Both hands were pressed in his pockets as Michael stood outside Nicole's bedroom door

Both hands were pressed in his pockets as Michael stood outside Nicole's bedroom door. It was closed. Should he knock? Should he go back and ask Eric what to do? Should he just run away? Eric's words echoed in his mind, giving him strength.

She wants you. 

With a deep breath and tremendous hope, Michael twisted the handle, peeking inside Nicole's childhood room. The walls were patterned in gold with white sheers over the windows. It was like walking through a sunflower. A queen bed was tucked in the corner, where Nicole lay curled up facing the wall. He paused before taking another deep breath and stumbling closer.

Michael knelt on the floor beside the bed studying the gentle rise and fall of her shoulders. He reached to smooth her hair. The words just poured out.

Nicole: I don't know what to do... I feel like I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, you know?... I never meant for it to turn into this. I didn't want to hurt anybody. I just... I felt like I was reliving a nightmare everyday for the last three years and it was so exciting to finally feel like a normal person again. I could start over and just be free. I tried not to... But I got so lost in that feeling. 'Escapism' I guess it's called... Michael and I ... We aren't just 'friends.' I'm sorry I lied. I thought it would be easier that way, but it wasn't fair to you or to him. I've been so, so unfair to him. I like him a lot, Daddy, I just--

Michael: Nicole?

Thinking she'd been rambling to her father, Nicole gasped at the sound of Michael's voice. Spinning around and sitting up against the headboard. She covered her face, mortified.

Nicole: Oh, Michael...

Michael: I'm sorry-- I'm so sorry! I'll go--

Michael quickly rose to his feet to bolt out the door. He was embarrassed too, feeling like he was eavesdropping on something that was never meant for his ears. But watching him turn put a real fear in Nicole.

Could this be the last time he'd reach out for her?

She'd pushed him away time and time again. There must be a limit to how much this man can take. 

No more lies. 

No more hot and cold. 

It ended tonight.

She jumped to the floor and grasped his arm in both hands. Her eyes were swollen and shaking as new tears threatened to fall, but she looked right at him, holding him, for the first time in a long time.

Nicole: --Michael, please-- don't go.

Pulling him to the bed, they sat together, Nicole still squeezing Michael's arm as her fists turned purple with fear. Forcing several shallow breaths and a deep gulp, Nicole closed her eyes as she finally told him everything.