Chapter 25: And You

Saturday, November 24, 1979

A cold breeze on his feet stirred Michael awake. He squirmed on the bed trying to cover his legs then opened his eyes suddenly realizing he was alone. He sat up, adjusting to the darkness of the room. For a moment he forgot where he was, then the memories of last night slowly resurfaced. Pajama pants lay empty at the foot of the bed, Nicole's clothes in a pile in the other room among pillows and empty dishes. He closed his eyes reminiscing of their rendezvous. He missed the touch of her skin and the sweet sounds of her sensual sighs. 

Another strong gust hit Michael's bare chest, forcing his eyes open again. The French doors leading from the bedroom to the balcony were left ajar. Each wave of wind would force the doors open in a rush, before softly drifting together again. Michael yanked the duvet loose from each corner of the mattress, then wrapping it around his shoulders, he walked towards the balcony finding Nicole leaning against the railing. She was wearing his shirt, a pale green button-up he wore during the drive the day before. And nothing else.

Michael: There you are...

Nicole turned, catching barely a glimpse of Michael before she covered her face laughing. He looked like a snowman.

Nicole: It is not that cold!

Michael grinned back and weakly wandered closer, wrapping his blanketed arms tight over her shoulders. Nuzzling the back of her neck, Michael breathed her in, cold and sweet. Nicole held his forearms and kissed his fingertips.

Michael: What are you doing out here? I'm lonely.

Nicole: Just needed some fresh air.

She didn't say any more, so Michael just stood, enjoying the night sky with her. The tranquil mountains. The bright stars.

Michael: Look at that, a full moon!

Michael closed his eyes and with a deep breath he loudly howled at the moon. Nicole jumped, partially startled at his echoing voice in her ear, and partially shocked at how much he sounded like a real wolf. Nicole craned her neck away but Michael held her close as his outcry turned to giggles.

Nicole: Michael--hush! You're going to wake up the whole building!

Michael: No, I'm a wolf.

His matter-of-fact tone made Nicole wonder if he really were part wolf. Nothing would surprise her anymore. He was so enchanting. If Michael Jackson told her right now that he was an alien, beamed down to Earth by a fleet of space cupids to teach the world love, she would believe it.

Michael sighed as Nicole got quiet again seeming to not enjoy his impersonation. She felt his lips nuzzling her neck then kissing her shoulder once again. The wispy hairs on his legs tickled hers. Finally she spoke softly, telling him about her dream.

They were driving in the dark. It was a quiet night like this as they skirted through the mountains. Michael steered with his foot heavy on the gas as always. Neither knew where they were, nor where they were going, but it didn't matter. The music was loud and they were singing along blissfully. With no other cars on the road to encourage safe driving, Nicole moved in close to steal kisses. The kisses grew longer and more frequent, making Michael oblivious and reckless. Then they crashed-- into what, Nicole had no idea-- forcing the car to spin wildly in half a dozen circles. They didn't look up. Michael didn't fuss to regain control, they simply held each other closer. Nicole remembered thinking she should feel afraid, but she didn't. She felt perfectly safe.