Chapter 50: Escapism (Part One)

Nicole: 'Studio 54' the night club?

Michael: Mhmm. Diana thought it might be a good way to get my mind off things. It's escapism, you know?

She nodded, watching Michael's stance shift as he cleared his throat and wiped the tears that clouded his vision.

Nicole: I'm sorry about the nominations, Michael. I wish I could understand--

Michael: Don't-- it's alright. I don't want you to worry about these things. The entertainment industry is so complicated-- I... That's what I adore about you, you know? You're not caught up in the business in that way.

Nicole: I get it. It's just hard for me sometimes. I wish I could be there for you. I wish I could be the one you go to when you're upset like this.

She watched Michael's feet shuffle again before turning to the window, crossing his arms over his chest, and immediately pacing back. It seemed like there was more he wanted to say, but his lips were pressed closed, forcing himself to silence.

Nicole: But it's great that Diana was here. She seems to know the right things to say...

Michael: That's true, in a way. We've known each other a long time...

So many lingering words. Sentences that faded to nothing. Maybe a night to escape would do everyone good.

Another nod as Nicole summoned the courage to walk closer, finally removing his sunglasses in the way they'd both grown used to. Her thumbs pressed over Michael's weary eyes and when he reopened with a slow blink, she was smirking.

Nicole: You sure you won't be too embarrassed to dance with me in front of all your famous friends?

He returned a tight-lipped smile as she reached for his hand, raising it above her own head to twirl. His kind fingers squeezed as she heard the faintest giggle. Then she let go, closing her eyes to remember the first time she danced for him in this way. A tingle of warm champagne in her belly, "Hot Stuff" on the record machine, and the pure, joyful laughter of her teasing boyfriend. She'd give anything to hear those sweet shrieks of happiness from this new man.

So Nicole danced. In the same awkward way that was once so embarrassing, she now had nothing to lose. She danced to a rhythm only she could hear, but the tune had been playing since the night she met Michael Jackson. A soft beat to start-- like the tapping of anxious fingers or the falling of sugar packets on a table linen-- that now grew to something that streamed on repeat. Infinite and no longer muted. The innocent harmony of telephone whispers and Fall picnics and stories of youth. The bright tempo of spirited pillow fights and loudly-chewed candy and pinball games. The fevered pitch of echoing shower moans and scratching headboards and passionate pleads for release. Nicole danced, silently praying he would hear their love song and dance too.

~*~*~

Michael heard the door shut as Bill and the girls went out. After successfully convincing Nicole to treat herself to a new outfit for tonight, he watched her cautiously extend the offer to Laura in a way that seemed foreign for the friends who were once so effortlessly connected. Michael wasn't sure what the two had been arguing about, but at the moment, it seemed like the lowest of his concerns. No one questioned him staying behind to "work." If that were good or bad, he didn't care.