Chapter 16: Just Listen - Part One

Nicole never did bring herself to look Michael in the eye, much less confess that their relationship was over

Nicole never did bring herself to look Michael in the eye, much less confess that their relationship was over. This was not at all how she intended things to end, but Nicole's hands were tied. Michael longed for love. He spoke of it constantly and intimately like "love" was a dearest friend. He knew exactly what he wanted and how it should feel. Michael deserved to be with someone who was capable of reciprocating those emotions. Not someone like her. 

They drove for almost an hour, the silence deafening compared to the excitement of their car ride the day before. Finally needing to stop for gas, Michael found a payphone.

Michael: Bill?

Bill: Mike? How's it going, son?

Michael: Um, not so good. I need to get back home.

Bill: ... What!?-- What the hell happened?

Michael: I-- I don't want to talk about it. I just need you to get me back to LA. Like, right now.

Bill: I can't. Where are you--

Michael: Sure you can, come on.

Bill: No, really Mike, I can't. Today's the busiest travel day of the year. There are no flights, no rental cars... I couldn't even get you a ticket on the Greyhound. Not today. Everything is booked.

Michael: Are you serious?

Bill: Shit-- I'm sorry, Mike. Look, travel is lighter tomorrow. Hang out one more night, maybe find a hotel or something. Are you safe? Is everything okay?

Michael: Yes, Bill. I'm safe.

Bill: Alright-- Well, I'll figure out how to get you out first thing tomorrow morning, alright? God, your mother's going to fuckin' kill me! I knew this was a bad idea.

Michael: Oh, just keep Mother out of it, okay!? We'll be in El Paso in a few more hours. I'll call you when I get to a hotel.

Bill: Alright... Hey, everything good with you and your girl?

Michael: No-- I'll talk to you later. Thanks Bill.

He hung up the phone quickly, not caring to delve into the details that Michael still couldn't make sense of himself. Across the parking lot Nicole stood at the driver's door waiting for the tank to fill. The pavement was like burning lava, impossible to cross. A drastic switch from the woman who welcomed him this morning, Michael remembered the way she cradled his body, showing their hearts were connected. Showing clearly that Nicole was longing for the affection Michael was desperate to give. It felt cruel, to ache so passionately for someone you cannot touch.

The drive was miserable, every minute dragging slower than the last. They didn't speak, each hoping the other would, but too proud to offer the necessary olive branch. Music played softly to fill the silence, but the lyrics were meaningless as Nicole and Michael got lost in their own thoughts. The whole highway was in a standstill as they approached the city. But there was no rush anymore. While the tension was thick, the roads were smooth and the sun was warm. And as the hours continued to roll on, there was a comfort and familiarity that welcomed peace, each convincing themselves that their romance was simply not meant to be. At least in the quiet safety of this car, Michael and Nicole were together. They were still bonded. Still connected in a small way that could one day, maybe, lead to a friendship.