Chapter 38: Cheers

After a pep talk, two extra strength pain killers, and a quick wardrobe change, Michael ran up the stairs to retrieve his girl

After a pep talk, two extra strength pain killers, and a quick wardrobe change, Michael ran up the stairs to retrieve his girl. Using his key, he opened the door and called out to her.

Michael: Hey!? Are you ready?

He jogged down the hall to her room, knowing how much she would chastise him for being tardy. As he rounded the corner, he saw her back as she was facing the full-length mirror, both arms raised to adjust a pin in her hair. When she turned around, he stopped in his tracks. The gown looked like it was made for her, the thin straps and deep cut neckline was sexy, but still modestly covered her bust. The fit was tighter through her waist and hips, then loosened a bit until the hem cut off an inch or two below her knees.

Michael: Jesus...

Subconsciously, he held himself back again, but now Nicole approached, grinning shyly. Her hands ran over the smooth material.

Nicole: It's a little tight, huh?

He heard her, but had no words to respond. He just raised his brows and shook his head left to right. He thought the fit was perfect.

Nicole: Do I look okay?

Now he laughed, a boyish chuckle that made her blush and giggle back. Finally he nodded and raised his eyes to meet hers.

Michael: I-- I'm uh... speechless.

She could hear his gulp as he reached for her hand, raising it to watch her twirl. Her hair was blow dried straight, then pinned up in a low knot to compliment the design that revealed her shoulders and back. As she finished the spin, he pulled her to him and kissed her slowly.

Nicole: Hey... you're going to mess up my makeup...

He giggled an apology in her ear. Then took a step back to see her again.

Michael: You look absolutely glorious.

Hearing the word made her stand a little prouder and smile a little wider.

Nicole: You look pretty smooth yourself, Michael.

He'd traded the baggy sweatshirt for a silky button down with a soft shimmer. The first two buttons left open to expose his chest. A pink blazer covered his arms making his shoulders appear broad and strong. Again they hesitated, until Nicole remembered her heels were still waiting at the closet.

Nicole: Could you help me with my shoes? They're right behind you--

Without missing a beat, Michael grabbed them and surrendered at her feet. As he unbuckled the leather straps, he felt her fingers brush his shoulder, up his ear, through his hair. He looked up, then blushed, knowing instantly they were recalling the same memory. The first night they made love. How he studied her, now able to picture the pink polish she wore on her toes that night as the light of the fire dazzled against her skin.