Epilogue

Wednesday, April 27, 1988

Her eyes followed the pattern of the carpet, attempting to make shapes from the shadows cast by the dim sconces. Any distraction was good as Nicole feigned confidence, knowing that she could quickly be talked out of this if she let her mind have a say. It felt kismet, the way all the pieces fell so perfectly together, but the rational side of her brain was always second guessing.

She pushed the button for the elevator, the up arrow glowing instantly. A door opened. She hesitated before crossing the threshold and waving her security card over a little black panel that granted access to the Presidential suite. A whole secret floor, visible only to those with this card.

As the floors ticked up, Nicole attempted to steady her breath. The golden sheen of the elevator walls threatened her. Forcing her to acknowledge her own presence in a way she'd been trying to avoid.

Nicole: You can do this.

She spoke out loud in a whisper so soft she could hardly hear it herself, but the reflection of dark red lipstick told her to listen. A deep breath. Shoulders back. Head high. The heavy doors opened again.

Bill:... My God, aren't you a sight for sore eyes!

A little older. A little rounder. The same warming smile.

Bill's pale hands reached for her, lowering her defences in a kind embrace. He rocked her back and forth, then pulled back, squeezing her shoulders until she giggled in return.

Bill: Look at you! You haven't aged a minute, just as beautiful as ever.

Nicole: Thank you, Bill. You still look awfully dapper yourself. Are you doing well?

Bill: Yeah? Well, you know, the kid keeps me young. And this tour-- the world hasn't seen anything like it! I feel like I'm running a marathon everyday!

Nicole was smiling though she hesitated again to respond. All she could think was to ask about Michael, but it seemed too soon.

Bill: What'd you think of the show?

Her eyes glowed a little as her smile grew broader.

Nicole: He's magical.

Bill: You didn't expect any less, did you!?

Again they laughed as Nicole just shrugged. She wasn't sure what she expected. And it was far too late to turn back now.

Bill: He's been working so hard for this tour. He's really put everything he has in it. Every waking minute Mike's been practicing moves or training his voice or doing promotion. He feels like this is his big moment, you know?

Nicole: He feels that way about every moment.

Another easy chuckle. Only Michael was still convinced he had something to prove to this world.