Chapter 29: Family Day - Part Three: The Water War 💦

Just a few feet away from the main house, Michael heard someone call out his name

Just a few feet away from the main house, Michael heard someone call out his name. As he turned to find the source, he was struck square in the chest by a water balloon nearly knocking him off his feet. Nicole covered her mouth in horror, immediately prepared to comfort her sweet, sensitive boyfriend. But the only comfort Michael wanted was sweet revenge. Mischief spread over his face as his eyes scanned the yard, first for the culprit, then for his own weapons. He spotted Marlon, laughing hysterically about 2 yards away. The second the two men locked eyes Marlon's face changed to fear as he made a quick pivot to run for his life. Michael gave a solid head start when he stopped to steal a water gun just filled by LaToya. As the fierce cold soaked Marlon's back, he begged for mercy. But it was too late. The water war had begun.

There was only one rule in a Jackson family water war: every man for himself! SuperSoakers, water balloons, buckets, and even squirt toys for the little ones were scattered all over the yard. At the start everyone played, but the girls never seemed to last very long for two reasons. First, they had an unfortunate disadvantage of short legs compared to the long, lean, and quick-moving feet of the Jackson men... And second, the Jackson boys loved going out of their way to see their wives soaking wet!

Michael and Janet stayed dry the longest due to their boundless energy and competitive spirits. He would dart past the trees, ducking and jumping over and around balloons coming at him like a live game of whack-a-mole. Janet, however, was patient and sly, deceiving her enemies with her sweet round cheeks and youthful smile.

Nicole watched from a distance. She wasn't terribly soaked, but wet bell bottoms made it difficult to run, so she sat in the grass with her feet splashing in a corner of the pool. It was a joy seeing Michael run freely, hearing his screaming laughter from anywhere on the property. His whole spirit was aglow. 

Not long after she was settled, LaToya appeared at her side completely dry. How she'd managed that, Nicole had no idea. LaToya held her knees to her chest looking at the pool like a vat of deadly leeches. For a moment Nicole grew nervous, as she tried to guess this young woman's intentions, but her smile was perfect and pure just like Michael's. It was easy to let her guard down.

LaToya: Hey, Nicole! Are you having fun?

Nicole: Oh yeah! I love seeing everyone laugh and run around like this. It's so beautiful.

LaToya: We try to get the whole family together at least once a year or so, but it's been pretty tough recently.

Nicole: Oh?

LaToya: Sure, Michael's been so busy! I mean, all the boys have, of course. And all these babies they keep having, it's so hard to find a time that works for everyone. But it's nice to just hang out and not worry about work.

Nicole: Oh... I'm sure that's tough.

LaToya: Yeah...

Nicole: Yeah...