Chapter 22: Thanksgiving Day - Part Three: Goodnight

The streets were dark and peaceful, dimly lit by the rows of suburban porch lights

The streets were dark and peaceful, dimly lit by the rows of suburban porch lights. Not a soul in sight. Michael couldn't remember the last time he just walked the streets in a new neighborhood, especially without a disguise or even sunglasses. There was a little chill in the air and the concrete sidewalk was cool on their bare feet, but Michael's hand was warm and Nicole had never felt better. Michael walked with a skip in his step. After being trapped inside all day, he was excited to finally breathe in some fresh air.

Michael: It's beautiful out here! It's so quiet, like we're out in the country.

Nicole stared up at Michael, his eyes wide with curiosity, head drifting to see everything. She knew this neighborhood like the back of her hand so it was strange for her to hear Michael call it "beautiful." Though there certainly was beauty in it, it was nothing compared to the mansions of Encino. These homes here were old and modest, each one only slightly different from the next.

Michael: I think your mom likes me.

He looked down at her suddenly, grinning proudly.

Nicole: You think so, huh?

Michael: Yes.

Nicole: How can you tell?

Michael: I just have a feeling-- and I heard you two in the kitchen--

Nicole: You heard us!?

Michael: I know you were talking about me--

Nicole: What'd you hear!?

Honestly, Michael had no idea what their conversation was in the kitchen, but judging by her tone, he'd guessed right! He just swung her hand higher, laughing and ignoring the question.

Huge trees lined the sidewalks, and straight ahead was a green, open park, renovated by the community a couple years ago. This park held a lot of memories for Nicole. When she was 9-years-old she got her first kiss under the monkey bars. A sweet blonde boy named Matthew whose father was in the military. His family was moving out of state, and even at that young age, when he kissed her farewell, she knew she'd never see him again. A few years later, Nicole witnessed her first fist-fight at this park. She remembered how sick it made her feel, watching two older boys fighting over a girl who clearly didn't care for either one. And at age 14, Nicole remembered comforting her best friend, who after realizing she had a serious crush on a girl two years their senior, felt like a freak. Laura didn't want to be alone, but was afraid to go home, so they laid on the merry-go-round, kicking the sand and watching the sky spin until the street lights came on. That night, she felt like a grown-up for the first time. They spoke just like the characters on the "Mary Tyler Moore Show" about love and heartbreak and dreams once they left this town.

Michael: I'll race you to the swings!

Michael was gone in a flash, energetic bare feet swiftly pounding the pavement, leaving Nicole's hand limp and alone. Nicole followed, trying to catch up, but he was just too fast. She was a few steps behind when he did a quick spin before plopping down into one of the seats. Laughing, he kicked his legs freely in the air.