Chapter 4: Tonight

The days passed slowly as Fall grew closer and Michael and Nicole's friendship blossomed

The days passed slowly as Fall grew closer and Michael and Nicole's friendship blossomed. They would continue to speak on the phone every night, sometimes for just a 10-minute check-in, other times for hours, whispering together until the early morning. Each conversation was new as they learned about each other. Some nights were focused on poetry and literature or philosophy and religion. Other nights Michael would be fascinated by Nicole's day, asking a dozen questions about who she saw and what they spoke about or what games she played with the Johnson children. Nicole was equally fascinated by Michael's animated recaps of performances, rehearsals, long days in the studio, or a sudden creative breakthrough.

And, of course, a few nights were filled with harmless flirtation. Michael's cheeks would flush when Nicole would giggle and ask about her favorite "Off the Wall" tracks, "Get on the Floor," "I Can't Help it," and "It's the Falling in Love." She loved the tenderness and joy in his voice when he sang and found herself wondering if he'd been in love before. She would tease, asking the name of the girl he was singing to. Michael would just shrug in return, instantly picturing himself in her living room again, holding her cheek, smelling her perfume, tasting her glorious lips.

Each night ended with one small thing in common, Michael would softly ask, "How much longer until I can see you again?" Most often, Nicole would giggle and whisper coyly, "soon." Until one night, "soon" became "eight days" which quickly turned to six and reality began to sink in.

Nicole and Michael were each reserved, private people, so these intimate late-night phone calls were out of character for them both. Nicole, who usually found herself seeking entertainment from a good book, was now excited by the opportunity to hold her own dialogue with this stranger. She was consistently baffled that a man as worldly as he would be genuinely interested in speaking to her night after night. She would surprise herself in her vulnerability, unsure why personal reflections of her childhood and even life's most mundane moments, held his attention. Regardless, Nicole found comfort in him and a trustworthiness unmatched by anyone she'd met before.

Michael's interest was certainly sincere. He was entranced and intrigued by Nicole. Her honesty, openness, and confidence was more than refreshing... But what would she be like once they were in the same city? A phone relationship was one he could manage. But a face-to-face relationship? He knew he would be no good at that. Michael valued his solitude and flexibility with his high-demand work schedule, and any female relationship he'd had in the past had dwindled for exactly this reason; they always wanted more. More time. More money. More effort than he felt comfortable committing. And while there was a part of him that felt compelled to end things before it got too serious, Michael just couldn't stop calling her. Butterflies wouldn't stop roaring in his stomach when she whispered, "goodnight, Michael" after a long chat. And when he finally closed his eyes to sleep, he would only dream of her soft lips kissing him again.

~*~*~

Sunday, August 5, 1979

August was a big month for Michael. In just a few days, "Off the Wall," his most personal piece of work to date, would finally be released to the public. Then, just a few days later, Nicole's arrival to California. And at the end of the month, marking his official end of boyhood, Michael would turn 21-years-old.