Chapter 44: Fifty-five Nights

The condo was beautiful

The condo was beautiful. Bright and modern and freshly decorated. The girls admired Laura's room first, laughing as she buried her face in the silk sheets that smelled like lavender. Heavy drapes and thick walls excited her for her impending sleep. A rest she'd been craving for years. Then she eagerly led the group to inspect Michael's room a little further down the hall. His tub was even bigger! But the room was beautiful and pristine. Fresh flowers waited on the nightstand. The bed was perfectly made with similar sheets in black and a sheepskin throw. Laura squeezed the fur in her fingers, melting into the warmth and softness. She praised the simplicity and organization... Actually, aside from a few nick-knacks and a space clearly marked as a dance floor, the room was mostly empty, devoid completely of character and personal effects. In fact, it didn't look like Michael Jackson lived here at all.

Nicole turned to Bill lingering over her shoulder, not foreboding, just lost in thought. This was the first moment she wondered if something wasn't right.

The girls separated to each enjoy their jacuzzi baths, leaving the doors ajar to loudly sing along to the music blasting from the living room. Bill left them, retreating back to his own suite, assuring them that he was just a phone call away if they needed anything. An hour went by before they rejoined in Laura's room to finalize their weekend plans.

Laura: So first thing when we wake up, we have to get bagels!

Nicole: With 'lox and schmear!'

Laura: What's 'lox?'

Nicole: Brined salmon.

Laura: Gross! What's 'schmear?'

Nicole: Like a cream cheese... I think?

Laura: Ugh, that sounds disgusting!

Nicole: It's what the natives eat!

Laura: 'The natives!'

Laura mocked with a loud laugh.

Nicole: Yes! I don't want to look like a tourist--

Laura: Oh sure! I'm sure you'll really fit in once you order that, and end up puking raw fish all over the sidewalk! No way am I eating that shit--

Nicole: Then you don't have to eat it! But you never know what you'll like unless you try it.

Laura: Yeah, I guess...

Her words drifted off as she stared to the window, wondering if that was a dig. Nicole often criticized that Laura was too complacent, reminding her that El Paso had limited opportunities for dreamers like them. Ranting into the phone when Laura would grow frustrated with her work and family and lack of advancement, Nicole would paint a picture of what her life could be if she only had the courage. They would be roommates together in Los Angeles, finally able to enroll in school again and develop relationships with someone new. How exciting it could be to be a stranger again. Outside it was busy and cold. A whole different world. For the first time in a long time, Laura wondered what tomorrow would look like.