Chapter 31: Family Day - Part Five: Fish

Friday, December 7, 1979

Nicole blinked her eyes open to a sleeping Michael laying beside her. Still nude, she found herself draped in a lush velvet quilt. The room was dark and peaceful and warm with soft music whispering from the record player making her wonder how long Michael was awake after she passed out. Nicole couldn't remember falling asleep but the dull ache in her core and scratch in her throat helped her reimagine... Her body was convulsing as she begged Michael's name over and over. Through heavy eyes she could see the look on Michael's face when he finally gave in to his own pleasure. And the strength in his body-- Dear God, it was glorious.

Nicole closed her eyes, silently praying the lover in her dreams would be half as good so she could leave Michael to rest, but the grumbles and growling of her stomach forced her out of bed. Nicole pulled on a clean pair of sweatpants from her bag and one of Michael's t-shirts left discarded on the floor as she tip-toed around the bed and out the room in search of food.

As she neared the kitchen, a faint light led the way.

Randy: Well hello, Beautiful! Care for a drink?

Nicole was startled to see Randy, Jackie, Tito and Jermaine sitting around the large kitchen island with a half-empty bottle of Cognac staring at her. Nicole jumped, rubbing the sleep from her eyes and clutching the front of her shirt, suddenly very aware that she was not wearing a bra.

Tito: Sorry to scare you, Sweetheart.

Jackie: Did we wake you?

Nicole: No--no, I was out cold actually... Just looking for a snack.

She could hear Randy giggle and whisper something under his breath, but Jackie punched him firm in the arm for it. Nicole could tell by the dazed look in his eyes, Randy was drunk.

Jermaine: Here, take my seat! I can make something for us. You like grilled cheese?

Jermaine hopped up offering his chair before she could even try to decline. A grilled cheese sandwich sounded so delicious, but she really did want to get back to bed.

Nicole: But I--

Jermaine: Oh, don't say no, you'll hurt my feelings! I'm a great chef, I promise! Have a seat.

Jackie: Come on girl, we won't bite.

All the boys had brilliant smiles impossible to deny. Then Nicole remembered her conversation with LaToya, "the more you know us, the more you know Michael." With arms still crossed over her chest, Nicole sat in Jermaine's discarded chair. Their voices were soft and calm like their mothers' but after even this short interaction it was clear all the Jackson men knew how to flirt, a trait they surely took after Joseph.

Tito: Let me pour you a drink--

Nicole: Oh, no, I don't really care for hard liquor.

Tito: I can mix up something for you. What do you like?