Chapter 7

Eren POV

I wake up in a cold sweat. I can't stay in the house right now. I take my phone and check the time. 4:30. I sigh. Well, it's too late to go back to sleep anyway. I throw on a t-shirt and jeans. I also take a hoodie and head out the door. It wasn't one of those unfairly humid early mornings. Instead it was a pleasantly cool one. I walk all the way to an old park. I see a few perfectly good benches, but I also see a swing set. I much prefer the latter.

It was mornings like these that make it impossible for the memories to start flowing. Those of happier times and those of the utter opposite.

I remember my mom. She was the sweetest human being in this earth. She had the kindest smile. She often scolded me, but it wasn't so much out of anger as worry. I still remember when I found Mikasa, and instead of worrying about what happened, she made sure we were ok. She never held me too accountable for my mistakes as long as they didn't affect anyone. I always thought she favored Mikasa, but in reality, I just got into more trouble than my adopted sister. Whenever we would get into arguments, she wouldn't force us to apologize, she would find out what actually happened, and ended up making both parties feel guilty. She would often take Mikasa, Armin, Marco, Jean, and me to the library. There she would tell us stories about places, people, and all kinds of different things. I never realized how great she was until she was gone.

It was probably when she got sick that everything changed. My dad became a strong alcoholic. When he wasn't under the influence, he was a great father. He, like my mother, greatly cared for us. He took us to all kinds of places, and taught us so much that you wouldn't learn from any school. He loved Mikasa just like she was part of the family the day she walked through the door. But under the influence, he was a completely different man. He was mean, abusive, and unpredictable. Not so much to Mikasa as me, because I looked like my mother. He struggled with the alcohol, and he really did try to get rid of the habit. For awhile, I really thought he was going to do it. He made a promise. But one day I came home, and it was the worst it had ever been. Not even Mikasa was safe this time.

This was the day we found out mom was dead. We went home immediately after we found out, to check on him, but it was too late. There was shattered glass, broken tables, shredded furniture, I never knew anyone was capable of this much destruction by themself. We searched through the house to find him, but we didn't find my dad. We found a monster instead. He went for me first. Mikasa tried to get in his way and stop him, but he kicked her down. Eventually, when I stopped moving, he stopped beating me. I wasn't actually limp, but relaxing your muscles completely makes it hurt less. He dropped me in a corner and I couldn't see anything from there on. All I could hear where Mikasa's screams. I thought they would stop fairly quickly. I was wrong.

I couldn't stop the tears from flowing at this point. The memories were just too much. I couldn't stop either, so I might as well just stop trying to.

Mikasa and I knew we had to get away at this point. We waited for my dad to go to sleep before leaving. I wrapped her arm around my shoulder. I was more used to walking on bruised legs than she was. She almost never got hurt. We saw our friend Marco outside and I called out to him. He took us back to his secret hideout. It was really just this clearing in the woods behind his house, but it was far away from any adults. Mikasa wanted to get the police, but I was stubborn and said that "all adults would do were bring us back to him. Mikasa and I stayed there for a few days, and Marco would sneak out with as much food as an 8 year old could carry, bringing it to us every day. One day, however, Marco didn't come. Mikasa and I got worried, so we tried to find him. And we did.

He was covered in bruises from what we could see, and his head was bleeding. I finally decided we could go to the police. We ran across the street, but Marco wasn't fast enough. His leg gave out, and the car couldn't see him. Mikasa ran over to him, yelling at me to get an adult. I ran to the first store I saw, and got the the first person who would listen to me. They called the paramedics, but they didn't arrive in time.

Even though Mikasa and I knew it was my dad's fault, he didn't get blamed. The car driver got all the blame. Marco's parents didn't blame me and Mikasa, no matter how much I wanted them to. If we had gone to the police the first day, this wouldn't have happened. The police did look into Mikasa's and my home situation, and my father was on house arrest. It wasn't my dad that I wanted to keep away though, it was the monster.

The week after we went back to school, and we saw Jean. He and Marco were best friends, so I wanted to make sure he was ok. He assured me that he was and the kept talking for awhile. A few weeks went by, and Jean and I were getting along great. One day when he asked me to follow him, I didn't think anything of it. As soon as nobody was around, I was on the ground, being kicked by the person who I thought was my friend.

All I heard before I blacked out was "That was for Marco you idiot!" And all I saw was a tuft of blonde hair.

When I woke up, I saw Armin and Mikasa looking at me. Armin in worry and Mikasa in relief.

A few years passed, and I refused to talk to anyone but Armin and Mikasa for awhile. Jean never stopped hating me, however, but I just accepted his hatred. I did kill his best friend, how could I just say sorry and expect it to be all better? I talked to my dad when we were at home. He had been getting better, and eventually he was let off of house arrest because he had been seeing therapists and he really did seem to be all better. One day when Mikasa and Armin had to stay behind at school, so I ended up going home. Alone. This time, my father hadn't been home. It was the monster.

————
Ok, so this was basically what happened to Eren in the past, and why he was afraid to be home alone, and the basic backstory. I'm sorry if it was choppy, and if anything is confusing, please let me know and I will try to clean it up.