Chapter 42: The Gift (part 3)

Eren POV

As soon as I'm sure Levi's gone, I run to the bathroom. I grab a fresh washcloth and soak it in soap and water. I hiss as I press it against the small punctures. I didn't close the door, which was probably a mistake, but I'm not worried about that. All I can think about while applying band-aids is how the FRICK I'm going to explain all these band-aids to Levi. There's like eight of them. Curse my stupid sharp nails that shouldn't be able to impale anything because of how short they are. I can't even open a soda can but when it comes to human flesh it's no problem.

I don't realize as Hange walks into the room while I'm contemplating my future. I glare at my arm, hoping the cuts will just go away if I will them to. Tears brim my eyes, because I haven't blinked in who knows how long, and partially due to frustration as well.

"You know, you could just wear long sleeves because it's December."

I jump back and turn around, hitting my back on the sink in surprise. I put my hand on my chest and gulp before trying to steady my breathing. My heart almost smashed out of my chest, I don't know if that's physically possible, but it happened.

"You scared me half to- YOU'RE A GENIUS!"

I rush into the room, and search through Levi's clothes because I can work with that. Will I feel bad about slightly lying? Nope, not really.

I slip on a dark blue, long sleeved shirt and pair it with a pair of cloudy gray sweatpants. I think about doing something with my hair, but I just run my fingers through it. That's fancy enough.

I walk back out and realize that Hange has been standing there the whole time. O h n o.

"So-I-um-"

Hange butts in, "Levi said you'd been cooking recently."

"Oh, well yeah-"

"Wanna make something? I found a couple hundred recipes you might want to try."

A couple...what?

From the super mega ultra confused look on my face, Hange explained, "I didn't really know the specifics of what types of foods you like from the very minimal and totally not extensive research I've done on you, so I came to the conclusion that I should get varieties of things based on what kinds of foods you like- like sweets and fruits and things- and the types of food Levi likes- which is pretty much anything you make- so then I had to go into what his mom likes which was difficult to do because she doesn't get out of the house much, and I had to do some digging and it turns out she was an aspiring chef who went to culinary school and everything, so she has a more refined taste, and then I got really into types of food so now I kinda have a collection of everything I want to try, but I'm not really allowed in the kitchen anymore, which isn't important and anyways, we're wasting time, so let's go bake and cook and you know that stuff."

I pretend to understand all of that while I pat Hange on the back for saying that mini production in one breath. I tell her to pick a recipe on the simpler side for breakfast. Which reminds me that Levi went out there on an empty stomach. He's gonna be in a pissy mood.

I'm watching Hange go through the recipes on her phone when I see the most glorious thing possible.

"STOP!"

I grab her phone and scroll back to the recipe. Stuffed French Toast. FUDGE YES!!! Who cares if it looks deformed because I'll have no idea what I'm doing, it's going to be a delicious mess anyways. As long as I don't accidentally give everyone salmonella, but what are the chances of that happening?

I run to the kitchen to start cooking, dragging Hange by the arm. The first try crashes and burns. (Literally. Levi is going to be angry. Like really angry. I made a mess.) I decide not to clean it up yet. It's only going to get dirtier anyways, I'll clean it up later. The utensils are still usable, only slightly crispy. Which is fine, they don't have to be perfect. Just usable. I will say that until I believe it and it ends up on my grave. Sure.

I also fail the second time. I used 2 and a half tablespoons of salt instead of teaspoons and I'm currently on the floor seeing my mother in the blurry light. When I come to my senses and chuck the batch into the trash can and restart. Third time's the charm. Right?

"Eren you dust it with powdered sugar, not granulized-"

"I know that, I was just making sure you do," I say quickly. "Good job, you pass."

I plate 3 servings, and plan to take one up to Levi's mom when she walks into the kitchen. Oh no. It's a mess. More than me. And I'm covered in flour AND have internal issues I'm purposely avoiding because I don't want to talk about them.

I think I'm about to get my eviction notice when she starts laughing. I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. Fudge, did the state of the kitchen send her into hysteria?! What have I done?!

"Eren I-you," she says between laughs. "I'll help you next time, now let's eat and wash up, shall we?"

I don't really get what she was trying to say, but it doesn't sound like she's angry, so I guess it's ok. This actually wasn't half bad. I could've done better, but I could've done worse. Which I did. In horror I realize I'm in Levi's shirt. Take a shower, throw his shirt in the wash, dry off and put on another one of his shirts. I have to throw my sweatpants in the wash too, so this time I choose a green sweater, and I take out a pair of my jeans.

I go back downstairs to help with the cleaning. There's no way we can be as thorough as Levi would like, but we try. The kitchen looks clean to any normal person, and I realize the entire day was spent cleaning. How did I make a mess that took 3 hours to clean up in 30 minutes? That's just not fair.

I ask Kuchel what we should attempt for dinner, but I'm a bit hesitant because of the catastrophe of this morning.

She rolls her eyes, "That's because you didn't have me to tell you what to do. Looking at a screen has nothing compared to real experiences. I know I sound old fashioned for saying that, but it's true."

She isn't wrong. The french toast recipe said nothing about that mess. Even so, I don't want to make anything too difficult. I'm NOT cleaning that up again. At least not today.

With Hange there, we decide on something she wants to try, and pair it with bread because...does there have to be a reason, it's bread. (A/N: I sincerely apologize to those who cannot safely consume bread)

I actually have a lot of fun this time. The three of us are laughing, and helping, and the whole experience is something that I never thought I'd be doing. Next time, I'm going to invite over Mikasa and Armin for dinner too. I'm really proud of myself, and it smells really good. It's a soup, which is pretty simple, but it's homemade, and we chopped up the ingredients ourselves, and put in all of the spices. We also made roasted potatoes to go with it. I'm really happy with how it turned out.

I immediately call Levi, wanting him to get home already so he can tell me what he thinks. He picks up, and I probably start beaming.

"Yes?"

"Levi! I, um, I made dinner, so if-if maybe you're done with, well, you know...come home?"

That could've gone a lot better. Was that even coherent? My face is the color of a tomato at this point. What if I interrupted him in the middle of something important? I didn't even think about that! That was so conceited of me. I'm so sorry, Levi.

"I'm-"

"I'll be right there."

_____________

Happy holidays, beans!