Chapter 22

Levi POV

I wake up to someone shaking me.

"I'm up, I'm up."

I get up, and don't see Eren anywhere around me. I do see, however, Hange.

"Levi! What the heck are you doing?!"

I wipe the sleep from my eyes, "Where's Eren?"

"That's what I've been trying to tell you!"

This woke me up. This wasn't normal Hange craziness, this was genuine worry. How does he keep escaping me in my sleep?! I ball my fists, the blanket intertwined. I throw the covers off and stand up.

"Where is he?" I say, with a murderous glint in my eye.

Eren POV

Maybe Levi was right, and it was just a coincidence. However, now the person working on Petra's case is dead. He was the one with all of the leads. I don't know much, but I have to find out who did it. I don't know how, but I need to. Petra was my friend. She died for no reason. If no one else is going to work on the case, even if I can't do anything, I'm going to do it for closure.

I know I shouldn't have left Levi without a word, but he wouldn't have let me. I can't tell Mikasa because she'll probably lock me in the basement and I can't tell Armin because...let's face it, Mikasa would squeeze it out of the very life force of Armin.

The voice in the back of my head kept telling me to go back to Levi before something bad happened, but that doesn't make any sense. What could possibly happen?

I go to the exact location of Petra's murder. At first glance, you wouldn't be able to tell a murder took place. There's no blood anywhere to be seen. You can clearly see where Petra was dragged across the ground. Wait, dragged? It must have been from when they taped and tied her up. Wait, hold on, how would they have known to do that? Wasn't she jumped? This all seems a bit too...planned.

I walk over to the exact spot where it looked like Petra fell. It's not like Petra to fall, even if she was exited. She wasn't a clumsy person. I look over to the side, where, shockingly, it lined up with a tree. I walk over to the tree, and see something odd. There's a part of the bark, near the bottom, where the bark is gone. It's not a chunk, but it's in a straight line, and it goes all around the tree, but there's a chunk of it still there in the middle. It's almost like there- oh no.

Levi POV

G-d dammit Eren. I have to find him. I'm not worried about him finding out it was me, but the reason I chose that spot is because it's a more common place for foul play. I swear, I'll have to put a tracker on everything you own and a radius of 100 feet away alarm when we get home. I was hoping to have a talk before I had to kill someone in front of him, but if worst comes to worst, there's nothing I can do about it.

I get to the scene, and I see Eren trailing a finger around the tree. Thankfully there's no one else around. F*ck not even the police saw that. I want to be proud that he's so observant of me, but this is a bit different. He then steps backwards- well more like stumbles- in shock.

"It was planned!"

I curse under my breath, "EREN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!"

He whisks around to see me before running over. He stops in front of my to catch his breath. I go to put a hand on his shoulder to steady him, but he just waves his hand in the 'I'm fine' manner.

"Levi! The murder-"

"Look, Eren, I know you want to get justice for your friend, but Petra's...undoing isn't very uncommon in this area. You can tell me when we get home, alright?"

He looks at me, exasperated, and his eyebrows upturned. After a few seconds he huffs and mumbles a "fine". Damn brat...I don't like seeing you upset. I place my hand on his shoulder once we walk far enough away from the spot.

"Hey, I'm sorry I upset you back there...lunch, my treat?"

He tries to ignore me all the way up until I mention food. Bingo. Nope, never thinking that again, not my thing. Anyway, I can tell he's already forgiven me, but he just wants to be spoiled, which, of course, I don't mind.

He puts his hands on his hips, "It depends."

I huff, "On?"

"I'm taking to offer on the food, I skipped breakfast, but you'll have t do more than that to earn forgiveness." His lips curl into a smile.

I very clearly roll my eyes, "I'm so sorry my worry about your life is such an inconvenience to you, whatever can I do to make it up do you, you f*cking brat."

He playfully puts his hands up in defense, "Woah, no need to get hostile, buddy-"

I scowl, "Want to rephrase that?"

He chuckles and rolls his eyes, "I'll apologize once I'm not dying of hunger."

That's when I notice he's still in the clothes I gave him last night. In other words, he's still in my clothes.

He's probably f*cking dirty. Not to mention he was just meddling around a tree and checking out a dirt path. He's getting thrown into the shower after this.

Eren POV

In all honesty, I wasn't actually mad at Levi, I just wanted to tell him what I found. I'm just using this as an excuse to act like an actual couple for once, because most of it has been me upset and him consoling me, which isn't exactly "couple goals". I love that he actually cares about my issues, not enough people do that in the world as a whole, but we've never actually had a date. THAT'S IT!

"Ra-"

"I will personally see to Hange's death of you so much as say another syllable of that word."

I cross my arms, "Well I was going to tell you how I'd forgive you, but if you're going to act sarcastic-"

"Don't get all dramatic on me, what do I have to do?"

"You get the honor of taking me on my first date."

I'm not counting the one with Petra, that was fake, and it was more of a 'friend's night out' sort of endeavor (BNHA fans don't you dare). He rolls his eyes and smirks.

"Oh do I now? I feel so humbled to get to take my boyfriend on a date. Unheard of."

"Yeah yeah yeah, don't wear it out."

He agrees, or at least his way of agreeing, and asks me what I want to do. I tell him that's his job to figure out. He playfully glares, before I hold my stomach in 'pain'. It doesn't actually hurt, and I feel so privileged saying this, but it's been over 10 hours since I've eaten anything. He gets worried and drags me to the closest restaurant.

He tells me to just get whatever and he'll pay for it. I tell him to also get something because he obviously hasn't eaten anything in a longer time period than I have. Levi tried telling me that he's had longer waits, but I refuse to eat anything unless he does too.

He finally gives in and I smile in victory. (I don't feel like describing their lunch is a quintessential part of the story, so um...imagine what you want to happen) I feel bad making him pay for it, so I try to tell him I'll make it up, but he refuses.

"Jeez, be a little more needy, I don't mind."

I laugh, "You are the only teenager to ever say that to their significant other in the history of the universe. Plus, I feel bad making you pay on our first date."

He ruffles my hair, "It's cute how you think that grime infested hell hole was our first date. Have some class, Eren."