Chapter 8

Eren POV

I try to wipe the tears from my eyes. They just keep flowing. I know I have no reason to fear anyone at this school, but that doesn't help anything. I check the time in my phone, but I see my reflection. I look terrible- er- more than usual at least. I could use Mikasa's makeup. I got really good at using it to hide bruises on my face, mainly from Jean or walking into open doors like an idiot (It happens ok). Though, she would probably notice. The time is 6:00, and I should have been home by now, holy crap.

I rush home to find a person from my class in my doorstep. Hange was it? I don't really know much about her other than that she hangs out around Levi. She waves at me, smiling. I try to ignore her and just head inside, as she's probably not here for me.

"So you're the famous Eren Yeager."

I just nod my head and try to open the door. She stops me, and gives me another smile. I give her a nervous smile and point at the door, trying to tell her I'd like to go inside.

"Oh sure, I'd LOVE to come in!"

My eyes widen and I shake my head vigorously.

She starts laughing, "Not much of a talker are you? Well, that's fine, I can tell a lot from your facial reactions."

I sigh in defeat and sit on the doorstep. She smiles in victory and plops down next to me.

"So, Levi has told me a lot about you."

My eyes widen in fear. What did he say? Does he hate me? What makes happening? Is that what she's here? Suddenly her phone dings, and she takes it out of her pocket.

"Oh, speak of the ravioli!"

I don't want to deal with this anymore, luckily Mikasa, my savior, comes outside. She's pissed. Nevermind.

"EREN I WAS WORRIED SICK!" She yells at me.

I put my hands up in defense and Hanji stupidly steps in, "Hey, leave Erey Berry alone, I'm the one who needed to talk to him, and he was right outside."

While I appreciate the attempt, I have to get Mikasa away for now. I wave goodbye to Hanji and drag Mikasa inside. She looks to me, expecting and explanation, but I just head to my room. I grab my backpack and head to the kitchen to grab a granola bar. I can hear Mikasa yelling at me from behind, but I just put in my earbuds and drown her out. I start my trek to school and see a girl starting to cross the street while a car is speeding towards her. The memories of Marco come flooding back and I can't stop my feet from moving. Quickly, I run over and grab her arm and pull her back.  The adrenaline rush completely consumed me, and I realize how tightly I grabbed her arm.

I immediately let go and put my hands up in apology. She just looks at me for a second, unsure of how to react. She then nods to herself and looks to me. That's when I realize how pretty she actually is. She has golden eyes, and auburn hair. She's shorter than me, by at least 10 centimeters, and she looks really sweet. (I actually liked Petra, and it's an unspoken rule that she has to die, but I can still make her be a good person ok)

"Thank you!" She says, smiling.

I can feel the blush rush to my face as I shake my head and wave my arms in the most awkward 'you don't have to thank me' motion in all of history.

She then asks, "Do I know you? You look a bit familiar."

I don't really know if I know who she is, but I pull out my student ID and show it to her, on the chance we go to the same school. She looks roughly like a high schooler, so maybe. Her eyes light up and she claps her hands together.

"You're the new kid!"

I just nod.

"So I've noticed you don't really speak much..." she pouts a bit, "That's ok, I'm sure you're a great listener!"

She asks if we can walk to school together, and I just shrug a yes. She talks about a ton of things, and I just let her. I learn that her name is Petra Ral, and she's a grade older than me. What really shocked me was that she has taken martial arts for 10 years. I would never have been able to tell. We get to school, and she makes me stop.

"Hey, you might not talk out loud, but you seem nice enough." She takes out a piece of paper, jots something down and hands it to me, "Text me if you ever feel like it, ok?"

She smiles again before leaving. I don't know what it is, but I think I'll take her up on that offer. I head to class and see Levi already in his seat. I sit down, smiling.

Levi POV

"So what's got you in such a chipper mood?" I ask.

He just looked so happy. Not that I don't enjoy it, but considering what Shitty Glasses told me, this seems like the exact opposite.

He turns to me, "I think I made a new... acquaintance? Friend? Well, I met someone!"

No. Someone else? Did he talk to them? What if he falls in love with them instead of me? What if he leaves me for them? Who even is this person?!

"Oh really? Who?" I say, sounding a lot less emotional that I feel.

"Petra Ral. I saved her from getting hit by a car this morning." He says, a lot more jubilant than needed for the situation.

Speaking of the situation this is terrible news. He saved her. What if she falls in love with her savior like a movie?! Do I even know a Petra? Wait doesn't she sit at my table? Yeah, I think she does. I might have talked to her on occasion a few times, but I'm not sure. I barely remember her name at the moment. Maybe it will come to me later. Wait hold on. He saved her from getting hit by a car. That idiot! He could have gotten himself killed!

"What were you thinking?!" I whisper yell, more stern than I mean to.

He flinched backwards a bit, "I-I just saw the car coming and my feet just moved on their own..."

Oh crap, I didn't mean to make him upset, "I'm sorry, I'm not mad at you for saving her, I'm just worried."

He looks back up at me and gives me a small smile, "I know."

Class goes on as normal from there. Eren doesn't bring up Petra again, which eases my worry tenfold. Thinks aren't awkward, like I was afraid they were going to be. Something still feels oddly off, though I can't put my finger on it.