Chapter 40: The Gift (Part 1)

Levi POV

It's been a few weeks since I last heard from my uncle. Well that is until Eren woke me up to tell me that "Ymir is here." After I got over the well of pissed off I felt when he remembered her name, I went to the door to the what the hell she wanted. I grab Eren's hand and lock our fingers as we make our way to the door. When I open the door, I go to tighten my grip, but he doesn't even make a move towards his...friend.

"And you're here why?" I ask.

"I told you, he told me to give you this piece of paper!"

I roll my eyes and take the paper, "Nevermind."

I unfold the slip, wondering what could be so important as to wake me up at 3 am. And since when was Eren such a light sleeper? Is he ok? Did he even go to sleep at all? I was so sure he was asleep before I was. Did he wake up? Did I do something wrong?! Fuck, what if he hates me now?!

"Levi, what's wrong?" I feel a bit of pressure on my shoulder.

I lift my head to have my vision absorbed into glittering sage orbs, filled with worry. His bangs are a mess, still ruffled from the bed, and he's chewing on his lower lip. Well, until my eyes flash in fear, so he releases it. He's been so good for me. He's accommodated to every demand I make, with little pushback, and I've done nothing for him.

He's right, we need to talk.

Not now of course, now I need to read the damn slip of paper. After I tell Eren I'm fine and nothing's wrong, and rest my back against the backboard and have Eren lay his head on my chest. Then I'll read the slip of paper.

I shake my head, "Nothing, just overthinking."

He playfully rolls his eyes, "You? Never." He clasps his hands together behind my neck, "So what'cha thinkin' 'bout?"

"That it's way too late for you to be awake."

He puffs his cheeks, "I'm not a little kid."

"Even adults should be asleep at 3:30 am."

I ruffle his already tousled hair before a lay my hand on the small of his back, lightly edging him forward. He complies, although unwillingly, and goes back upstairs. As previously envisioned in my head, we position ourselves comfortably on the bed, and I read the slip of paper that better say I won the lottery.

My eyes widen before slimming as my lips curl into a smirk. I quickly erase the expression from my face before Eren has the chance to notice, and lazily place the note inside the drawer, pretending it's nothing. That's as far as can be from the truth, but it wouldn't be so pretty if he knew that.

I'm sorry I couldn't deliver this in person, but I was preparing something for you. It'll be ready by tomorrow afternoon, say maybe 1ish. You can choose to accept or not, but you know the deal. I think you'll be mighty satisfied with what I have though.

Sincerely,
Kenny

By the looks of it, I'm going to have a lot to do tomorrow .

Eren POV

I begin to fall asleep listening to Levi's heartbeat. I don't know what the note said, but I don't think it really matters. I just want to go as long as we can without arguing, and if that means I have to make a few sacrifices of knowledge, somethings are better left unknown. Slowly but surely I can win back my freedom, not from him, I don't wanna leave Levi, but I want to be able to move on from my own mind, trusting that he trusts me. Which right now, I know that he doesn't. How can he though? I'm always getting hurt, and causing so much trouble for him. He always has to come save me, or feel like he has to get rid of someone because of me. Before I came along, his life was simple. Now he has to babysit whatever the crappcaccino I can be classified as.