Chapter 36

Eren POV

The next day, Levi says he needs to take care of some things, promising to check in every 30 minutes, and tells me to call him if anything happens. It seems like a bit much but I don't mind. He wouldn't tell me where he was going, and that bothers me. I don't think he would cheat on me, but why wouldn't he tell me? I want to have full trust in him, I really do, but I also don't want anything to happen. I don't know what would happen, but the better question is what couldn't.

Now my brain doesn't even make sense.

I don't want to go on my phone. I want to go on a walk but I don't want to go outside. I want to sleep but I'm too hungry. I want to eat but I'm too tired. I don't want to do anything, but I want to do something. I guess I should study. Ooh, I never realized how cool this eraser is. The way it just...erases. Hm.

Kuchel walks into the room, and beckons me to follow her. Well, after shaking me because I couldn't hear her screaming my name a few seconds ago. I had my earbuds in.

"Where are we going?"

She just shakes her head, motioning for me to follow. Why is everyone being so secretive today? I follow her all the way back to her room, which I've never been in. If mystery had a smell, it would be this one. I've always wanted to solve a mystery. Well I guess I kinda did. "Who murdered Retra Pal?", a movie by Eren Whatshisface. It just doesn't have the same ring to it as "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" or "Mystery on the Orient Express" or "Clue". I wonder why. This could be an unsolved murder case. At least I epoh it goes unsolved. I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to Levi. Probably try and get the death sentence without ever hurting anyone. Show everyone how truly fluffed up the system is. Then have a last meal of cyanide. No, that's too badass for me. I'm not that cool. Maybe a genocide. That sounds nice. I'll be in all the history books, if there are even any people left to write them.

Kuchel then snaps me out of my daze, by slamming this large book on the table. She then opens in, and my eyes widen. It's all handwritten. She then brings out tons more, some notebooks, research journals, field guides, diaries, the whole shebang, all handwritten, but surprisingly all in the same handwriting for the most part. Kuchel then looks at me.

"Levi's great great grandmother was apparently big on studying and observation, and her coping mechanism to all of this was writing down everything she could find out about the...condition.

"She was a very bright young woman, some of these entries date back to when she must've been at least your age. It certainly helped a lot when I was still dealing with my late husband, and some of the later entries, even Levi himself. The biggest discovery she made is that the condition isn't necessarily genetic. It-"

"Woah woah woah, it's not genetic?"

She glares at me with the 'if you let me finish' look. My face turns pink as I look away, mumbling a "sorry" before she continues.

"No, it's not genetic. Any child raised by someone with the 'condition' will contract it. Her own daughter was adopted and ended yon with the condition. There are differences though. The children she had herself all had the condition, but were emotionless from birth. Her adopted daughter had emotions, she never lost them, but she changed. She never felt complete until she found...the one. Her children turned out the same as she. Levi is not directly related to her though."

I feel a pit in my chest, "So that means-"

"Yes, until you, my son was an empty being. Over the years, people have added to these records, not everyone was as accommodating as Emilie- that was her name- and therefore, different types of people get different outcomes. Some things are the same no matter what, however, like snapping, breaking, and," She flips to a page in the big book, before pointing, "This entire section is about certain things that can, and if you aren't careful, will happen. If nothing else, please read these. I don't know if I can help you much with any of your questions. Emilie was a bit of a poet, and that's not exactly my strong suit."